← Back to Stories

Trump postpones Iran attack amid stalled peace talks, threats of renewed conflict

By Updated 19 May 20264 articles from 2 independent sources

Consensus Summary

US President Donald Trump postponed a planned military strike on Iran on May 19, 2026, after Gulf state leaders (Qatar, UAE, Saudi Arabia) urged him to allow negotiations to continue. Trump claimed Iran had made a new proposal to end the war, including a long-term suspension of its nuclear program and transfer of uranium to Russia, though no immediate breakthrough occurred. The ceasefire, in place since April 8, remains fragile, with both sides accusing each other of backtracking. Iran continues to block the Strait of Hormuz, threatening shipping and oil prices, while Trump has instructed the military to prepare for a full-scale assault if talks fail. Analysts describe the conflict as deadlocked, with neither side willing to make sufficient concessions. Human rights groups report widespread arrests and executions in Iran, while Trump’s approval rating has dropped amid voter disapproval of the war. The situation remains volatile, with both sides threatening escalation if no deal is reached.

✓ Verified by 2+ sources

Key details reported by multiple sources:

  • Donald Trump postponed a scheduled US military attack on Iran on May 19, 2026, at the request of Gulf state leaders (Qatar, UAE, Saudi Arabia) to allow negotiations to continue.
  • Trump instructed US military leaders to be prepared for a 'full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice' if no acceptable deal is reached.
  • A ceasefire in the US-Israeli-Iran war has been in place since April 8, 2026, but Trump previously described it as 'on life support'.
  • Iran has proposed concessions including a long-term suspension of its nuclear program, transfer of highly enriched uranium to Russia, and a phased reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.
  • Iran’s foreign military spokesperson, Esmail Baghaei, claimed Pakistan shared Tehran’s latest proposal with the US, though Pakistani sources called the process stalled.
  • Iran has executed 26 men since the start of the war (14 over January protests, 1 over 2022 demonstrations, 11 accused of links to banned opposition groups), according to rights groups.
  • The Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) documented at least 4,023 arrests in Iran between February 28 and May 9, 2026, related to the conflict.
  • Iran has threatened to impose permits on internet cables passing through the Strait of Hormuz and claims it will 'manage' the waterway, potentially imposing tolls.
  • Trump met with Chinese President Xi Jinping last week in Beijing but did not secure China’s support to resolve the conflict.
  • A 45-day ceasefire extension between Lebanon and Israel is now in effect after US-hosted talks, despite ongoing attacks by Hezbollah and Israel.

Points of Difference

Details reported by only one source:

The Guardian
  • Trump claimed Iran’s latest proposal was 'very acceptable' to the US and would preclude Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.
  • Iran’s Tasnim news agency reported the US had agreed to waive sanctions on Tehran’s oil exports during negotiations, though this was not independently confirmed.
  • Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) threatened to impose permits on internet cables in the Strait of Hormuz.
  • Iran launched drones toward Gulf countries hosting US military bases, including a fire at a UAE nuclear power plant and intercepted drones in Saudi Arabia.
  • Trump said he was expected to meet national security advisers on May 20 to discuss resuming military action.
  • Iran’s latest proposal included ending hostilities on all fronts, US troop withdrawal from areas near Iran, and reparations for destruction caused by US-Israeli attacks.
  • Iran’s deputy foreign minister, Kazem Gharibabadi, said Tehran also wanted sanctions lifted, frozen funds released, and an end to the US marine blockade.
  • US Central Command admitted a 'complex' investigation into a February 28, 2026, attack on a school in Minab, Iran, that killed 155 people, including 73 boys, 47 girls, and 26 teachers.
  • Analysts say the conflict is deadlocked, with both sides facing pressure but unwilling to make painful concessions.
  • Trump’s approval rating has fallen to 37%, with 64% of US voters disapproving of his handling of the war, according to a New York Times poll.
ABC News
  • Trump’s approval rating dropped to 37%, a 4% decline since January, with no president’s rating below 38% for more than a few days in the past 17 years.
  • Trump claimed Iran 'wants to make a deal more than ever' due to impending US actions, as stated in an interview with the New York Post.
  • The US and Iran have not held direct talks since April 12, though proposals have been exchanged via mediators like Pakistan.

Where the reporting differs

Details that conflict, or appear in only some outlets:

  • The Guardian reports Trump postponed the attack on May 19, 2026, while ABC states the attack was scheduled for 'tomorrow' (May 19) but was postponed, implying the timeline aligns but the phrasing differs slightly.
  • The Guardian claims Iran’s latest proposal included a long-term suspension of its nuclear program and transfer of uranium to Russia, while ABC does not mention these specifics in its reporting.
  • The Guardian states Trump said he was 'an hour away from making the decision to go' on May 19, but ABC does not reference this specific timeline for the postponed attack.
  • The Guardian reports Iran’s latest proposal involved reparations and US troop withdrawal, while ABC does not explicitly mention these terms in its coverage.
  • The Guardian cites Iranian state media claiming the US attack on the Minab school killed 155 people, including 73 boys, 47 girls, and 26 teachers, while ABC does not provide these specific casualty figures.

Source Articles

GUARDIAN

Trump claims planned attack on Iran postponed after Tehran makes new proposal to end war

The US president says plans for a US military strike on Iran have been paused because ‘serious negotiations are now taking place’ Middle East crisis – live updates Iran has made a new proposal for a deal to definitively end the war in the Middle East, officials in the region said on Monday, with Donald Trump claiming he had postponed new military strikes so talks could continue. But while the US president has regularly used social media to threaten Tehran, and to claim that a peace deal was with

GUARDIAN

Trump threatens ‘a big hit’ if Tehran does not make deal soon

Renewed threat comes after US president said he was ‘an hour away’ from ordering a strike before pulling back Middle East crisis – live updates Donald Trump has again threatened Iran, saying the US may launch new attacks if Tehran continues to refuse the significant concessions he wants before a deal can be struck to end the Middle East war. The US president said he had called off a fresh wave of strikes , which would have broken the ceasefire in place since early last month. “I was an hour away

GUARDIAN

Trump news at a glance: president says scheduled attack on Iran has been postponed – for now

President says he has instructed US military to be ready for ‘a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice’ – key US politics stories from Monday 18 May Donald Trump says he has called off a planned attack on Iran at the behest of Gulf states so talks could continue. In a post to his Truth Social platform, the US president claimed that the leaders of Qatar, the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia had approached Washington because of the chance of reaching a deal that would be “ver

ABC

Breaking: Trump says he has postponed a planned new strike on Iran

US President Donald Trump says an attack on Iran that was "scheduled for tomorrow" has been postponed at the request of gulf state leaders.

More World stories

Latest cross-verified stories

Browse all stories from May 2026 in the archive.