← Back to Stories

US pauses Taiwan arms sales amid Iran war and Trump-Xi tensions

By Updated 27 May 20263 articles from 2 independent sources

Consensus Summary

The US has paused a multibillion-dollar arms sale to Taiwan, citing munitions needs for the Iran war (Epic Fury), according to acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao’s May 22 congressional testimony. Taiwan’s government denies receiving any notice of adjustments, while China reaffirmed its opposition to such sales. The pause follows Donald Trump’s May 2026 meeting with Xi Jinping, where Taiwan was a central topic, and Trump’s subsequent comments suggesting he may use arms sales as a bargaining chip with Beijing. Experts and US officials dispute the Iran war rationale, with some calling the pause politically motivated. Trump has not yet approved the sale, raising uncertainty about US commitment to Taiwan’s defense under the Taiwan Relations Act. The conflict highlights tensions between Washington’s legal obligations, diplomatic protocol, and Trump’s unpredictable approach to China.

✓ Verified by 2+ sources

Key details reported by multiple sources:

  • US arms sales to Taiwan have been 'paused' due to munitions needs for the Iran war (Epic Fury), per acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao's May 22 congressional hearing statement
  • The paused arms package is worth $14 billion (Guardian) or $19.6 billion (ABC), awaiting Trump’s signoff since January 2026
  • Taiwan’s presidential office spokesperson Karen Kuo stated on May 25 that Taipei had 'no information indicating the US intends to make any adjustments to this arms sale'
  • China claims Taiwan as a breakaway province and 'resolutely opposes' US arms sales, per statements from Chinese foreign ministry spokespeople in May 2026
  • Donald Trump met Xi Jinping in Beijing on May 15–16, 2026, where Taiwan arms sales were a key topic; Xi warned of 'collision or conflict' if Taiwan is 'not handled well'
  • Trump has said he will 'make a determination' on Taiwan arms sales 'over the next fairly short period of time' (post-Xi meeting)
  • The US launched its war against Iran (Epic Fury) on February 28, 2026, which has reportedly depleted missile stockpiles
  • No sitting US president has spoken to Taiwan’s president since 1979; Trump previously spoke to Tsai Ing-wen as president-elect in 2016

Points of Difference

Details reported by only one source:

The Guardian
  • Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao cited 'Epic Fury' munitions needs as the reason for the pause, adding 'we have plenty' of supplies
  • US Senator Mitch McConnell expressed distress over the pause, asking if sales would be approved eventually
  • A Reuters report (May 26) quoted an unnamed US official stating the military has 'more than enough munitions' and the pause is 'unrelated to the war with Iran'
  • Trump described Taiwan arms sales as a 'very good negotiating chip' with China, violating US policy of not consulting Beijing on the issue
  • Trump suggested he may speak directly with Taiwan’s President Lai Ching-te, a move that would provoke Beijing
  • Analyst Rupert Hammond-Chambers (US-Taiwan Business Council) said arms packages take 3–6 years to deliver, with approvals potentially pushing deliveries into the 2030s
  • Five Taiwan DPP lawmakers and Peter Mattis (Jamestown Foundation) held a press conference rejecting the pause’s validity, calling it a 'misspeaking' issue
ABC News
  • The $19.6 billion figure for the stalled arms sale (approved by Congress in January 2026) is explicitly stated, differing from Guardian’s $14 billion
  • A separate $15.4 billion weapons package authorized in December 2025 remains stalled
  • The US State Department and Pentagon did not immediately respond to ABC’s request for comment on Cao’s remarks

Where the reporting differs

Details that conflict, or appear in only some outlets:

  • The Guardian reports the paused arms package is $14 billion, while ABC states it is $19.6 billion
  • Guardian cites a $14 billion package awaiting Trump’s signoff for months, while ABC notes Congress approved a $19.6 billion deal in January 2026 (implying two overlapping packages)
  • Guardian’s Hung Cao quote emphasizes munitions shortages ('we’re just making sure we have everything'), while Reuters (via Guardian) and ABC’s unnamed official deny any connection to Iran war stockpiles
  • Guardian states Trump met Xi in Beijing for a 'summit' (May 15–16), while ABC does not specify the duration or framing of the visit
  • Guardian mentions Trump’s Fox News interview where he called arms sales a 'negotiating chip,' but ABC does not reference this specific comment

Source Articles

GUARDIAN

US arms sales to Taiwan on ‘pause’ due to Iran war, says acting navy chief

Hung Cao’s comments are latest blow to Taipei after Donald Trump recently cast doubt over US’s enduring support US arms sales to Taiwan have been “paused” to ensure the US military has enough munitions for its Iran operations, according to Washington’s acting navy secretary, in the latest blow to Taipei after a series of comments by Donald Trump. When asked at a congressional hearing on Thursday about a $14bn (£10.4bn) weapons packageawaiting Trump’s signoff for months, Hung Cao said: “Right now

GUARDIAN

‘Makes no sense’: experts doubt pause in US arms sale to Taiwan is due to Iran war

While approval is due soon for $14bn deal, actual deliveries to Taiwan are years away – making ‘Operation Epic Fury’ in the Gulf an unlikely cause The Trump administration’s war against Iran should have no impact on arms sales to Taiwan, experts have said, after a US official suggested a pause in the delivery of a key weapons package was due to the Gulf conflict. Analysts told the Guardian that a $14bn arms package left in limbo after Donald Trump’s meeting with Xi Jinping could take up to six y

ABC

US pauses arms sales to Taiwan over Iran war

The stalled $19.6 billion weapons purchase by Taiwan has been awaiting sign-off from US President Donald Trump.

More World stories

Latest cross-verified stories

Browse all stories from May 2026 in the archive.