Tennis players protest French Open prize money and demand reforms
Consensus Summary
Top tennis players, including Jannik Sinner, Aryna Sabalenka, and Novak Djokovic, are protesting the French Open’s prize money increase, calling it insufficient and a sign of disrespect. Despite a 9.5% rise in prize money to €61.7 million ($100.3–100.7 million), players argue their share of tournament revenue has dropped from 15.5% in 2024 to 14.9% in 2026, far below their demand for 22%. The dispute, ongoing for over a year, also involves demands for better welfare, pensions, and player representation in governance. Djokovic praised Sabalenka’s leadership, while the Professional Tennis Players Association (PTPA) called for broader tennis reform. The French Open begins on May 24 (or May 18, per one source), with players threatening potential boycotts if no progress is made.
✓ Verified by 2+ sources
Key details reported by multiple sources:
- Jannik Sinner and Aryna Sabalenka are leading players expressing disappointment over French Open prize money, calling for a boycott if demands are not met.
- Players demanded a 22% share of tournament revenue, but the French Open offered only a 9.5% increase in prize money to €61.7 million ($100.3 million) for 2026.
- Players' share of Roland Garros revenue declined from 15.5% in 2024 to 14.9% projected in 2026, despite revenue rising 14% year-on-year in 2025 (€395m).
- The French Open is scheduled to begin on May 24 (or May 18, as per one source), with the Italian Open starting this week (May 4–6).
- Novak Djokovic praised Aryna Sabalenka’s leadership in the dispute and supported the players' stance, calling for tennis reform.
- Players also demanded better welfare provisions, pensions, and a greater say in scheduling and governance decisions.
- The US Open last year increased prize money by 20%, while the Australian Open in 2026 raised player compensation by 16%, contrasting with the French Open’s smaller increase.
Points of Difference
Details reported by only one source:
- Novak Djokovic was one of the founders of the Professional Tennis Players Association (PTPA), which stated the dispute highlights the need for tennis reform.
- Coco Gauff and Ben Shelton (mentioned in ABC’s second article) are expected to criticize the grand slams further at the Italian Open.
- The French Open’s 2026 prize money increase was announced as 9.5% (€61.7m), but players said their share of revenue would drop to 14.3% in 2025.
- Jannik Sinner emphasized that the issue is about respect, not just money, saying players feel undervalued despite contributing significantly to the sport.
- The French Open’s 2026 prize money was reported as $100.3 million in one ABC article and $100.7 million in another.
- The Guardian explicitly states that the players’ share of revenue in 2025 was 14.3%, down from 15.5% in 2024, with 2026 projections still below 15%.
- The Guardian mentions that the players’ joint statement was issued by a communications firm and that Djokovic did not sign the latest statement.
- The Guardian notes that the French Open’s 2025 revenue was €395m, with a 14% year-on-year increase, but prize money only rose by 5.4%.
- The Guardian highlights that the players’ demands include a formal mechanism for player consultation in grand-slam decision-making.
Where the reporting differs
Details that conflict, or appear in only some outlets:
- Article 1 (ABC) states the French Open begins on May 18, while Articles 2 and 3 (ABC and Guardian) say it starts on May 24.
- Article 1 (ABC) reports the prize money increase as 9.5% to €61.7 million ($100.3 million), while Article 3 (ABC) states $100.7 million for the same increase.
- Article 1 (ABC) mentions Djokovic signed the letter to grand slam organizers last year, but the Guardian states he did not sign the latest joint statement.
- Article 1 (ABC) says players threatened a boycott if demands are not met, while the Guardian frames it as ‘deep disappointment’ without explicitly mentioning a boycott threat.
Source Articles
Players raise fears of French Open boycott
The world's leading tennis players do not feel respected, Jannik Sinner says, as fears grow of the French Open being boycotted.
Leading tennis players including Djokovic and Sabalenka unhappy with French Open prize money
Group release joint statement over pay concerns Players also call for greater say in tennis schedule A group of the world’s top 20 male and female players, including Novak Djokovic, Jannik Sinner, Aryna Sabalenka and Coco Gauff, have released a joint statement expressing their disappointment at the level of prize money on offer at the French Open later this month. The top players have been in dispute with all four grand slams for more than a year, as they feel they are given an insufficient shar
Players express 'deep disappointment' over French Open prize money
Top players, including world number ones on the men's and women's tour, criticise the increased French Open prize money pool as not being enough amidst other unresolved welfare demands.