← Back to Stories

Victorian opposition proposes splitting Court of Appeal for tougher sentences

By Updated 13 hours ago2 articles from 2 independent sources

Consensus Summary

The Victorian opposition, led by Jess Wilson, has proposed splitting the state’s Court of Appeal into separate criminal and civil courts if elected in November. The plan, announced on Sunday, aims to create a Court of Criminal Appeal with judges specialising in criminal law to ensure tougher sentences for serious offences. Both sources confirm the Liberal party intends to introduce stricter bail and sentencing laws before the end of the year. While the ABC notes youth crime has fallen for the first time in four years and adult crime rose by 10 per cent, the Guardian highlights criticism from legal groups, including Liberty Victoria, which calls the proposal a ‘thought bubble’ that risks politicising the judiciary. Premier Ben Carroll dismissed the plan as lacking legal expertise, while the opposition argues the current system fails to meet community expectations.

✓ Verified by 2+ sources

Key details reported by multiple sources:

  • The Liberal party plans to split Victoria’s Court of Appeal into a Court of Criminal Appeal and a Court of Civil Appeal if elected in November
  • Opposition Leader Jess Wilson announced the plan on Sunday
  • The proposal includes appointing additional judges with expertise in criminal law to the new Court of Criminal Appeal
  • The Liberal party aims to introduce tougher bail and sentencing laws before the end of the year if elected

Points of Difference

Details reported by only one source:

ABC News
  • Youth crime in Victoria fell for the first time in four years, while adult crime rose by 10 per cent due to breaches of bail, retail theft, and family violence orders
  • Former police officer Paul O’Halloran joined Jess Wilson and James Newbury for the policy announcement today
  • Premier Ben Carroll took over leadership from Jacinta Allan last month and made crime a centrepiece of his leadership
The Guardian
  • Liberty Victoria’s Gemma Cafarella called the proposal a ‘dangerous and ignorant thought bubble’ designed without expert input
  • The Australian Lawyers Alliance said there was ‘no clear evidence’ the Court of Appeal structure was failing, aside from underfunding
  • One Nation’s Victorian leader Warren Pickering said earlier this month the party wanted to make ‘bleeding heart judges accountable’
  • The Labor government passed ‘adult time for violent crime’ and tougher bail laws, and is reviewing sentencing

Where the reporting differs

Details that conflict, or appear in only some outlets:

  • The Guardian states the Coalition’s plan would politicise the judiciary, while ABC does not explicitly mention this concern
  • The Guardian implies the proposal was announced by Jess Wilson on Sunday, but ABC does not specify the day of the announcement beyond ‘today’

Source Articles

GUARDIAN

Liberal plan to split Victorian appeals court attacked as ‘thought bubble’ that would politicise judiciary

Opposition leader Jess Wilson says new dedicated court of criminal appeal would set precedents for tougher sentences Get our breaking news email , free app or daily news podcast A radical overhaul of Victoria’s highest court, proposed by the Liberal party to increase sentences, has been criticised by legal and human rights groups who warn it would politicise the judiciary. The opposition leader, Jess Wilson, on Sunday announced that if elected in November the Coalition would split the court of a

ABC

Coalition wants to split Court of Appeal to focus on tougher sentences

The Victorian opposition says it will create a Court of Criminal Appeal if it wins the November election as part of its tough on crime policies.

More Politics stories

Latest cross-verified stories

Browse all stories from August 2026 in the archive.