← Back to Stories

US-Iran peace deal negotiations and Strait of Hormuz reopening in May 2026

3 hours ago2 articles from 2 sources

Consensus Summary

In late May 2026, US President Donald Trump announced that a peace deal with Iran has been largely negotiated, with the Strait of Hormuz set to reopen as part of the agreement. The deal follows indirect talks mediated by Pakistan, involving calls with Gulf allies, Turkey, and Israel. Both sources confirm Trump’s statement that final details of a Memorandum of Understanding are still under discussion, though specifics remain sparse. The war, which began on February 28 with US-Israeli strikes, entered a ceasefire on April 8, and Iran’s foreign ministry has acknowledged working on a framework to end hostilities. However, contradictions arise over the scope of the deal, with Iran’s military spokesman rejecting US claims about control of the Strait of Hormuz, and analysts warning that unresolved issues like Iran’s nuclear program, sanctions, and regional proxies remain unaddressed. While Trump’s announcement has sparked optimism, Republican lawmakers and former officials have criticized the potential deal, calling it a strategic mistake that could embolden Iran.

✓ Verified by 2+ sources

Key details reported by multiple sources:

  • Donald Trump announced on May 23, 2026, that a peace deal with Iran 'has been largely negotiated' and the Strait of Hormuz will be opened as part of the deal.
  • Trump stated that 'final aspects and details' of a 'Memorandum of Understanding' are still being discussed and 'will be announced shortly'.
  • Trump had phone discussions with Middle Eastern leaders, including Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar, Egypt, Jordan, Bahrain, Pakistan’s army chief Asim Munir, and Turkey’s Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.
  • Trump also had a separate call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, which he described as 'very well'.
  • Pakistan is playing a key mediating role in the talks, with a Pakistani source telling Reuters that Iran and Pakistan submitted a revised proposal to the US to end the war and reopen the Strait of Hormuz.
  • The war between the US/Israel and Iran began on February 28, 2026, with joint US-Israeli air strikes.
  • A ceasefire that began on April 8, 2026, is still in effect.
  • Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei stated the country was working to finalise a memorandum of understanding to end the war, deferring talks about Iran’s nuclear program.

Points of Difference

Details reported by only one source:

The Guardian
  • Trump wrote on his social media platform about the deal, mentioning he met with American negotiators, including special envoy Steve Witkoff, adviser Jared Kushner, and JD Vance.
  • Iran’s top negotiator said earlier in the day there would be no compromise over its national rights during a meeting with the Pakistani army chief in Tehran, stating Iran intended to draft a memorandum of understanding with 14 clauses.
  • Drop Site News reported late Friday night that the latest Iranian proposal included the provisional reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, ending the US blockade of Iranian ports, releasing billions in frozen Iranian assets, and a plan to compensate Iran for damages suffered during the war.
  • Trump told CBS and Axios he would only sign a deal 'where we get everything we want' and threatened to resume strikes if no deal was reached.
  • A regional official with direct knowledge of the Pakistan-led mediation efforts told the Associated Press that the potential deal would include an official declaration of the war’s end, two-month negotiations on Iran’s nuclear program, the opening of the Strait of Hormuz, and an end to the US blockade of Iranian ports.
The Age
  • Vice President JD Vance and Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth returned to Washington and headed to the White House on Saturday amid reports of a potential deal.
  • Republican senators Lindsey Graham, Roger Wicker, and former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo publicly urged Trump to reject the peace plan and resume military action against Iran.
  • Iran’s military spokesman Ebrahim Zolfaghari stated the status of the Strait of Hormuz is not a matter for the US or Gulf countries, saying 'We determine whether the strait is open or closed'.
  • Iran’s semi-official Fars News Agency said Trump’s claims about the strait reopening 'diverged from reality' and that it would 'continue to be under Iran’s management'.
  • Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif described Saturday’s call as 'a useful opportunity to exchange views' and said Pakistan hoped to host the next round of peace talks soon.
  • Aaron David Miller, a veteran Middle East adviser, said if the agreement is real, it would 'buy time and space to deal with the complexity of issues' but that outstanding matters include Iran’s uranium stockpiles, centrifuges, frozen assets, sanctions, and proxies like Hezbollah.
  • Danny Citrinowicz, an Iran analyst, said the Gulf states fear Iran’s leverage over the Strait of Hormuz and do not trust the US to protect them.

Contradictions

Conflicting information between sources:

  • The Guardian states Trump had a call with Pakistani army chief Asim Munir, while The Age does not mention this specific detail.
  • The Guardian reports Iran’s proposal included permanently ending the war before negotiating any deal on Tehran’s nuclear program, but The Age does not explicitly confirm this sequence.
  • The Guardian cites a regional official saying the deal would include two-month negotiations on Iran’s nuclear program, while The Age’s Iran analyst Danny Citrinowicz suggests no formal agreement has been reached on this issue.
  • The Guardian mentions Trump’s threat to resume strikes if a deal was not reached, while The Age focuses more on Republican opposition to the deal rather than Trump’s direct threats.
  • The Guardian reports Trump met with American negotiators including Steve Witkoff, Jared Kushner, and JD Vance, while The Age only mentions Vance and Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth returning to Washington.

Source Articles

GUARDIAN

Trump says peace deal with Iran ‘largely negotiated’ with strait of Hormuz to open

Remarks by US president potentially mark conclusion of bombing campaign led by US and Israel Donald Trump announced on Saturday that a peace deal with Iran “has been largely negotiated”, after calls with a Pakistani mediator, Gulf allies and Israel, potentially paving the way for an end to the war launched by the US and Israel in February. Trump wrote on his social media platform that “final aspects and details” of a “Memorandum of Understanding” are still being discussed, and “will be announced

THEAGE

Iran breakthrough: Trump says deal to end war on cusp of being signed

The apparent breakthrough was announced following a call between the US president and the leaders of America’s Gulf allies on Saturday, US time.