← Back to Stories

Australian IS-linked families leave Syria for Damascus, potential return to Australia

10 hours ago5 articles from 3 sources

Consensus Summary

A group of seven Australian women and 14 children linked to Islamic State left the al-Roj refugee camp in Syria on May 22, 2026, and arrived in Damascus, with plans to potentially return to Australia. This follows the earlier repatriation of four women and nine children in late April, three of whom were arrested and charged with terrorism-related offences upon arrival. The Australian government has issued passports to the group but insists it is not assisting their return, despite legal obligations to allow citizens to enter. One woman faces a Temporary Exclusion Order (TEO) banning her from returning on national security grounds. The departure coincides with tensions between Syrian and Kurdish officials over the closure of al-Roj, as well as US pressure on Australia to repatriate its citizens. While the government maintains it will prosecute any crimes committed, legal experts argue it has no power to block their return, leaving the situation unresolved.

✓ Verified by 2+ sources

Key details reported by multiple sources:

  • Seven Australian women and 14 children (total 21 people) left al-Roj refugee camp in Syria on 2026-05-22 (local time) and arrived in Damascus.
  • Four Australian women and nine children returned to Australia from al-Roj earlier this month (late April 2026), with three women arrested and charged upon arrival: Kawsar Ahmad and Zeinab Ahmad (slavery offences), Janai Safar (joining a terrorist organisation and travelling to a declared terrorist area).
  • One Australian woman in the group is subject to a Temporary Exclusion Order (TEO) issued by the Australian government on security grounds, preventing her return to Australia.
  • The Australian government has not been notified that flights have been booked for the group’s onward travel to Australia, adding uncertainty to their next steps.
  • The al-Roj camp is controlled by the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and is being shut down ahead of a handover to the Syrian government.
  • The group’s departure follows wrangling between Syrian government officials (who want camps emptied of foreign nationals) and Kurdish officials (who control al-Roj).
  • The US government has been pressuring countries, including Australia, to repatriate their citizens from Syrian camps.
  • The Australian government has issued passports to the group since February 2026, despite refusing to assist their return.

Points of Difference

Details reported by only one source:

ABC News
  • Dr. Jamal Rifi, a Western Sydney doctor, confirmed the 21 people arrived in Damascus and stated, 'I just don’t know how many of them are going to arrive in Australia.'
  • Dr. Rifi said the group received no help from the Australian government and relied on lawyers, humanitarians, and the Syrian government for assistance.
  • Dr. Rifi expressed concern about the security risk of children growing up in the camp and later returning to Australia as adults.
  • The group’s departure from al-Roj follows the return of four women and nine children earlier this month, who waited about two weeks in Damascus before flying to Qatar and then Australia.
  • Cabinet Minister Tanya Plibersek stated, 'They’ll face the same consequences as the first group, which is if there are any crimes they’re accused of, they’ll be taken into custody and treated with the full force of the law.'
  • Opposition Leader Angus Taylor said the government 'should be doing all it can to stop these people coming back to Australia.'
  • Legal experts have repeatedly rejected claims that the Australian government can legally block citizens from returning home.
News.com.au
  • The group is described as 'at least six women and their children' in one instance, though other sources specify seven women and 14 children.
  • Deputy Opposition Leader Jane Hume called the group 'potentially an enormous danger to our citizens.'
  • AFP Commissioner Krissy Barrett confirmed Australians linked to ISIS have been under surveillance since 2015 under Operation Kurrajong.
  • Opposition Leader Angus Taylor refused to explicitly back ASIO’s assessment of the cohort, stating, 'In the end it’s the government that makes these decisions.'
The Guardian
  • The group is described as the 'last remaining Australian women and children' from al-Roj camp, though other sources indicate some children may remain with family members.
  • The article mentions a minivan leaving the camp, escorted by Syrian government officials, though this has not been officially confirmed.
  • The al-Hawl camp was shut down earlier this year, with residents transferred to a new facility near Aleppo.
  • The US government has 'ratcheted up pressure' on Australia to repatriate its citizens, offering assistance with repatriations.

Contradictions

Conflicting information between sources:

  • ABC and Guardian describe the group as seven women and 14 children, while Newscomau initially refers to 'at least six women and their children,' creating ambiguity about the exact number.
  • ABC and Guardian state the group left al-Roj on 2026-05-22, but Newscomau mentions the departure occurred on Thursday (2026-05-22) without specifying the exact time or confirmation of arrival in Damascus.
  • ABC and Guardian report the group is expected to return to Australia in the coming days, while Newscomau states no plane tickets have been booked, leaving uncertainty about timing.
  • ABC and Guardian mention the group is the 'last remaining' Australians from al-Roj, but Newscomau and ABC also note that one woman’s children may leave separately, implying not all are accounted for in the 21-person group.
  • ABC and Guardian emphasize the group’s departure is imminent, while Newscomau and ABC (Article 5) suggest delays due to wrangling between Syrian and Kurdish officials, creating conflicting timelines.

Source Articles

ABC

Australian IS-linked families arrive in Damascus

After leaving the al-Roj refugee camp on Thursday, a group of seven Australian women and 14 children has arrived in the Syrian capital, Damascus.

NEWSCOMAU

Second group of ISIS brides to return home

A second group of Australian women and children linked to ISIS have reportedly taken a big step as part of efforts to return home.

ABC

Breaking: Another group of Australians with IS-links leave camp in Syria for Australia

The ABC has seen buses carrying the group which left the Al Roj camp on Thursday afternoon local time.

GUARDIAN

Last Australian women and children linked to IS leave Syrian camp before expected return home – report

Federal minister Tanya Plibersek says the group will face same repercussions on arrival in Australia as previous returnees Follow our Australia news live blog for latest updates Get our breaking news email , free app or daily news podcast The last remaining Australian women and children left stranded in the al-Roj detention camp have reportedly left north-east Syria for Damascus, ahead of an expected return to Australia. Vision obtained by an ABC news crew in Syria showed a minivan leaving the c

ABC

More ISIS-linked women and children set to return to Australia

Six Australian women, along with their children and grandchildren, look likely to leave a camp in Syria within days.