← Back to Stories

Iran relocates FIFA World Cup 2026 base camp from US to Mexico amid security concerns

3 hours ago2 articles from 2 sources

Consensus Summary

Iran’s football team relocated its FIFA World Cup 2026 training base from Tucson, Arizona, to Tijuana, Mexico, after FIFA approved the change amid security concerns tied to US-Israel airstrikes on Iran. The move, announced by Iranian Football Federation president Mehdi Taj on May 24, 2026, aims to address visa and travel issues, with the team potentially using Iran Air flights. Despite the base camp shift, Iran’s matches remain in the US—against New Zealand (June 15, Los Angeles), Belgium (June 21, Los Angeles), and Egypt (June 26, Seattle). FIFA has not publicly confirmed the base camp change, though Taj claimed approval after meetings in Istanbul and Tehran. Earlier in 2026, FIFA rejected moving Iran’s matches to Mexico, and former US President Donald Trump warned of safety risks for Iranian players in the US.

✓ Verified by 2+ sources

Key details reported by multiple sources:

  • Iran’s FIFA World Cup 2026 training base was moved from Tucson, Arizona, to Tijuana, Mexico, after FIFA approval
  • The Iranian Football Federation president is Mehdi Taj
  • Iran’s World Cup matches remain scheduled in the US: vs. New Zealand (June 15, Los Angeles), Belgium (June 21, Los Angeles), and Egypt (June 26, Seattle)
  • FIFA has not publicly confirmed the base camp switch as of May 24, 2026
  • The move was requested due to security concerns related to the US-Israel airstrikes on Iran starting February 2026

Points of Difference

Details reported by only one source:

SBS News
  • Iran’s participation in the World Cup has been in question since February, when the United States and Israel began bombing the country.
The Guardian
  • Mehdi Taj announced the decision in a statement issued by the federation’s media relations official on May 24, 2026.
  • The team may use Iran Air flights for travel to/from Mexico.
  • FIFA’s secretary general was involved in a webinar meeting with Iran in Tehran on May 23, 2026.
  • FIFA president Gianni Infantino confirmed at the Vancouver congress in May 2026 that Iran would play in the US as scheduled, citing unity.
  • Donald Trump previously stated in March 2026 that Iran’s players’ safety could be at risk if they traveled to the US.
  • FIFA reportedly rejected switching Iran’s matches to Mexico in March 2026.

Contradictions

Conflicting information between sources:

  • The Guardian states FIFA has not confirmed the base camp switch, while SBS implies it is a done deal by stating 'Iran's participation has been in question' without direct FIFA confirmation.
  • The Guardian reports FIFA’s secretary general met with Iran in Tehran on May 23, 2026, but SBS does not mention this meeting.
  • The Guardian cites FIFA president Infantino’s May 2026 statement that Iran would play in the US, while SBS does not reference this specific confirmation.

Source Articles

SBS

Iranian football team moves FIFA World Cup base from United States to Mexico

Iran's participation in the World Cup has been in question since February, when the United States and Israel began bombing the country.

GUARDIAN

Iran say Fifa has approved World Cup base camp switch from US to Mexico

Federation chief says team will train in Tijuana Iran had planned for Arizona base before war Move is said to resolve potential visa issues The president of the Iranian football federation said Saturday the team’s World Cup training base has been moved to Mexico from the United States after getting approval from Fifa. Mehdi Taj, president of the Iran Football Federation, announced the decision Saturday in a statement issued by the federation’s media relations official. FIFA has not confirmed the