← Back to Stories

US-led Gaza ceasefire negotiations stall amid Hamas-Israel disputes

By Updated 2 hours ago2 articles from 2 sources

Consensus Summary

US envoy Jared Kushner held back-to-back meetings with Hamas and Israeli leaders in an effort to revive a stalled 15-point roadmap for Gaza, but both sides remain deadlocked. Hamas agreed to the plan but insists Israel must first halt attacks and withdraw, while Netanyahu demands full Hamas disarmament before any Israeli retreat. The ceasefire, agreed to in October 2025, has seen over 1,200 Palestinian deaths and 4,100+ wounded since then, with Israel controlling 60-70% of Gaza. Reconstruction is tied to disarmament, and Netanyahu faces an October 27 election, complicating concessions. Regional powers condemned Israel’s rejection of the roadmap, while Hamas and Israel dispute sequencing and control timelines.

✓ Verified by 2+ sources

Key details reported by multiple sources:

  • Jared Kushner met Hamas political leader Khalil al-Hayya in Egypt on Sunday (October 2025 meeting context)
  • Kushner met Benjamin Netanyahu in Israel on Monday after Hamas talks
  • A 15-point US-backed roadmap for Gaza disarmament and reconstruction was proposed
  • Hamas agreed to the 15-point roadmap but insists Israel must first halt attacks and withdraw
  • Netanyahu rejected the roadmap, demanding Hamas disarm completely before any Israeli withdrawal
  • More than 1,200 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza since the October ceasefire
  • Israel controls about 70% of Gaza (ABC: 70%, Guardian: 60%+ moving to 70%)
  • A 14-day negotiation period is required to approve the roadmap’s implementation
  • Netanyahu faces an October 27 national election
  • The October 7, 2023 attack on Israel triggered the current war
  • A ceasefire was agreed to on October 10, 2025 (Guardian) and an October ceasefire (ABC)
  • Reconstruction of Gaza is contingent on Hamas disarmament
  • Kushner previously met Hamas officials in October 2025 to clinch the ceasefire and hostage deal

Points of Difference

Details reported by only one source:

ABC News
  • Netanyahu’s coalition trails in polls ahead of the October 27 vote
  • Four Israeli soldiers have been killed in Gaza since October
  • Kushner’s meetings lasted two days, with a two-hour meeting with Netanyahu
  • Israel’s military will not withdraw from the October ceasefire demarcation line
  • Netanyahu publicly rejected Trump’s proposed peace plan
  • A Board of Peace official described the meeting as 'in-depth and very productive' without elaboration
  • Israel’s military will continue operations targeting those involved in the October 7, 2023 attack
  • Reconstruction would occur in areas under Israeli control or a new Palestinian technocratic government
  • Some personal weapons would be permitted under Palestinian law, though rifles would be prohibited
The Guardian
  • More than 4,100 Palestinians have been wounded since the October 10, 2025 ceasefire
  • Netanyahu said in May that Israel would move to 70% control of Gaza, 'tightening the grip' on Hamas
  • Israel currently controls about 60% of Gaza, beyond the undefined 'yellow line'
  • Regional powers (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Jordan, Pakistan, Indonesia) condemned Israel’s rejection of the roadmap
  • Hamas linked disarmament to the creation of a Palestinian state, which Israel rejects
  • The 'yellow line' dividing Gaza was never precisely defined
  • The Hamas leader demanded Israel halt attacks and withdraw to the 'yellow line' before implementation
  • The Board of Peace and US were called to take 'immediate and concrete measures' to prevent obstruction
  • Netanyahu’s Likud party accused Arab states of trying to 'topple' him to weaken his stance on Gaza

Contradictions

Conflicting information between sources:

  • ABC states Israel controls 70% of Gaza, while the Guardian says Israel controls about 60% and aims for 70%
  • ABC refers to an 'October ceasefire' without a specific date, while the Guardian specifies the ceasefire ended major operations on October 10, 2025
  • ABC mentions 'four Israeli soldiers' killed since October, but the Guardian does not reference Israeli casualties in its verified numbers
  • ABC says Netanyahu rejected the roadmap 'earlier this month,' while the Guardian says he rejected it 'last week'
  • The Guardian notes Hamas demanded Israel withdraw to the undefined 'yellow line,' but ABC does not mention this specific demand

Source Articles

ABC

Kushner talks with Hamas and Israel end without Gaza deal

Jared Kushner and Benjamin Netanyahu have discussed putting a US general in charge of verifying Hamas's disarmaments, with Israel's military to remain place until that happens.

GUARDIAN

Jared Kushner meets with Hamas ahead of talks with Netanyahu on Gaza

Trump’s son-in-law and envoy held rare meeting with Hamas chief in Egypt in push for progress on ceasefire Donald Trump’s son-in-law and envoy, Jared Kushner , held a rare meeting with Hamas ’s political chief on Sunday in Egypt , in a new diplomatic effort to make progress in the stalled Gaza ceasefire. Kushner will meet on Monday with Benjamin Netanyahu, who is under pressure after rejecting the new 15-point, US-backed road map. The talks aim to salvage the plan for Hamas to disarm and Israel