← Back to Stories

Prince Harry and Meghan return to Britain with children after six years abroad

By Updated 17 hours ago3 articles from 2 sources

Consensus Summary

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are returning to Britain this month with their children, Archie seven and Lilibet five, after six years abroad following their 2020 departure. They will live in a private residence outside London, with the children starting school in September. The move was confirmed by both the Guardian and ABC, with King Charles informed on Sunday. The couple’s reconciliation with the royal family appears partial, as tensions with Prince William remain unresolved. Their return follows a July meeting with Charles, their first UK visit together in four years, and comes amid ongoing legal disputes, including a recent loss against the Daily Mail. Security concerns, previously a major obstacle, seem resolved, though details remain undisclosed. The couple will retain homes in California and Portugal, with Meghan continuing her lifestyle brand As Ever. The royal family has not commented on the long-term implications, but the move marks a significant shift after years of estrangement.

✓ Verified by 2+ sources

Key details reported by multiple sources:

  • Prince Harry and Meghan plan to move back to Britain this month to a non-royal residence outside London
  • Their children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, will start school in September
  • King Charles was informed of the move on Sunday, local time
  • The couple left the UK six years ago after stepping down from royal duties
  • They previously lived in California since 2020
  • The family met with King Charles earlier in July, marking their first visit to the UK together in four years
  • Prince Harry, 41, and Meghan, 45, will retain their homes in Montecito, California, and Portugal
  • The couple last visited the UK together in 2022 for Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral
  • King Charles was diagnosed with cancer in February 2024, with treatment scaled back last December

Points of Difference

Details reported by only one source:

The Guardian
  • Prince Harry said in May 2025, after losing a legal challenge over his security in the UK, that he could not see bringing his family back then
  • Prince Harry and six other co-claimants lost a privacy case against the Daily Mail last month in London
  • The couple’s security arrangements have not been disclosed, and Harry previously stressed he would not feel safe bringing his family back without police protection
  • The Sussexes had a reunion with King Charles last month at Highgrove in Gloucestershire
  • The Prince and Princess of Wales were informed of the decision to return
  • The couple went on holiday to Portugal earlier this summer
  • The Duke of Sussex said he asked King Charles to 'step out of the way' and let experts handle security disputes
  • Harry expressed a desire for reconciliation with the royal family, saying he had 'forgiven' them and wanted to stop fighting
  • The return was broken simultaneously by four media outlets in the UK, US, and Australia on Wednesday night
  • Joe Little, managing editor of Majesty Magazine, said it will take a long time to establish trust between Harry and the royal family
ABC News
  • The news was first reported by British media, with no immediate comment from spokespeople for Harry and Meghan, though a source confirmed the report’s accuracy
  • The family’s visit to the UK in July was described as a 'private family occasion' by Buckingham Palace
  • Queen Camilla spoke publicly about the difficulty of keeping King Charles’ cancer diagnosis private initially

Contradictions

Conflicting information between sources:

  • The Guardian states the Sussexes visited Highgrove last month, but does not mention this in the ABC article
  • The Guardian mentions the couple’s legal loss against the Daily Mail last month, which is not referenced in the ABC article
  • The Guardian notes Harry’s age as 41 and Meghan’s as 45, while ABC does not specify their ages

Source Articles

GUARDIAN

Prince Harry and Meghan ‘moving back to Britain this month’

Reports say Duke and Duchess of Sussex intend to relocate from US, with children to start British school in September The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are planning to return to live in Britain, six years after leaving for the US, it has been reported. The couple and their two children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, are expected to relocate later this month to a non-royal residence. Continue reading...

ABC

Breaking: Prince Harry, Meghan and family to move back to UK, British media reports

Harry, the younger son of King Charles, and his wife, Meghan, intend to relocate from the US to a private, non-royal residence outside London, according to British media.

GUARDIAN

‘Rival courts’: Prince Harry’s surprise UK return may provoke royal spot of bother

Family relationships remain damaged and there is no clarity on how Sussexes’ security concerns have been resolved Just as the departure of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’ from the UK six years ago came as a complete surprise, so too is their shock announcement they now intend to return. Their unilateral decision could fairly be said to have blind-sided the royals. King Charles was only informed on Sunday and is said not to have been involved in the decision making. No mention was made when Harry