Teen accused of attempted plane hijacking at Avalon Airport faces mental impairment defense
Consensus Summary
A 17-year-old (now 19) is accused of attempting to hijack a Jetstar flight at Avalon Airport on March 6, 2025, after entering through a hole in a security fence while disguised as a maintenance worker. Armed with a shotgun and a fake explosive device, he was restrained by passengers and allegedly expressed relief and gratitude afterward. The defense argues he was mentally impaired at the time, citing psychological evidence and his incoherent statements about political motives, while prosecutors claim he had a clear ideological motivation and had been planning the hijacking for months. Both sides are disputing whether the case should be moved from the Childrenās Court to a higher court for a jury trial, with the judge expected to rule on the matter soon. The teenager has been in custody since March 2025, and the case hinges on whether his actions were driven by mental impairment or a deliberate political act.
ā Verified by 2+ sources
Key details reported by multiple sources:
- A 17-year-old (now 19) allegedly attempted to hijack a Jetstar flight at Avalon Airport on March 6, 2025, armed with a shotgun and fake explosive device.
- The teenager entered the airport through a hole in a security fence and boarded the plane while wearing a high-vis vest and tool belt, pretending to be a maintenance worker.
- Passengers restrained the teenager on the plane, and he allegedly told them it was a 'weight off his shoulders' and thanked them, calling them 'heroes'.
- Defense lawyer Patrick Doyle SC argued the teenager was mentally impaired at the time of the incident, citing neuropsychological evidence of 'significant deterioration' in his mental state.
- Prosecutor Paul Holdenson KC argued the case should be moved to a higher court for a jury trial, claiming the teenager had a 'political or ideological motivation' and had been planning the hijacking for months.
- The teenager has been in custody since March 2025, and a Childrenās Court judge will rule on whether to move the case to a superior jurisdiction.
- The teenager allegedly searched online for information about shooting down Russian and Turkish military aircraft and a Syrian airport around the time of the incident.
Points of Difference
Details reported by only one source:
- The teenager allegedly told police he wanted to 'subdue the crew' but did not want to alarm others on the plane.
- The teenager allegedly told Barry Clark, a passenger who restrained him, 'You're a good man, you know what you're doing.'
- Prosecutors allege the teenager brought an 'explosive device' on the plane, but the defense claims it was an 'obvious fake'.
- The teenager skipped work, was heard crying loudly in his bedroom, and told friends he was depressed after a romantic rejection.
- A suppression order prevents media reports detailing any foreign groups the teenager may have been in contact with.
- The defense rejected the prosecution's claim that the teenager had been planning to hijack a plane for five months.
- The teenager's lawyer said the teen had an 'interest in aviation and airports' but no coherent political motive.
- The defense argued the teenager's statements about political motives were 'incoherent' and 'vague' and could not be treated as a 'recognisable political motive'.
- The defense submitted that details of the case could generate 'significant antipathy' if left to a jury, citing a typed note as problematic evidence.
- The prosecutor argued that a properly-instructed jury can perform their task in an 'objective and unbiased manner'.
- The defense noted the teenager described feeling an 'intense sense of calm and relief' after being apprehended.
- The teenager allegedly told police he had 'whispered' his demands to the planeās crew and didnāt want to alarm passengers.
Contradictions
Conflicting information between sources:
- ABC states the teenager allegedly told police he wanted to 'subdue the crew,' while NEWSCOMAU does not explicitly mention this specific statement.
- ABC claims the teenager had been planning the hijacking for five months, but NEWSCOMAU only mentions prosecutors alleging planning as far back as October 2024 without specifying the duration.
- ABC notes the teenager's lawyer rejected the prosecution's claims of a five-month planning period, while NEWSCOMAU does not directly address this timeline dispute.
Source Articles
Lawyers say teen accused of trying to hijack plane was mentally impaired
A teen who allegedly tried to hijack a plane at Avalon Airport felt relieved when passengers restrained him, describing it as a "weight off his shoulders", his lawyers say.
āHeroesā: Alleged hijackerās court claim
A court has been told the words a teenager accused of attempting to hijack a flight armed with a fake bomb said to police after he was arrested.
New details on alleged Jetstar hijacking
New details about a teenager accused of attempting to hijack a flight armed with a fake bomb have been aired in court.