Trump accuses Australia of not helping in Strait of Hormuz; Albanese denies formal US request
Consensus Summary
Donald Trump repeatedly accused Australia of not doing enough to support US efforts in the Strait of Hormuz during a April 16, 2026 press conference outside the White House, stating he was 'not happy' with Australia for not being there when asked. Australian officials, including Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Defence Minister Richard Marles, denied receiving any formal or specific request from the US to assist in the Strait of Hormuz, emphasizing that only a general request to defend Gulf allies (like the UAE) was made, which Australia fulfilled by deploying an E-7 Wedgetail aircraft. Trump’s comments followed his earlier social media post in March dismissing the need for allies’ help, including Australia’s, creating a contradiction between his public statements. Australia is participating in a 40-nation summit hosted by the UK and France on April 17 to discuss securing the Strait of Hormuz, while also securing fuel and fertilizer supplies from Brunei, South Korea, and Indonesia due to disruptions. The dispute highlights tensions over defence commitments, with Australia’s defence spending rising to 2.3–2.4% of GDP by 2033, below the 3.5% target Trump has pushed for.
✓ Verified by 2+ sources
Key details reported by multiple sources:
- Donald Trump said 'I’m not happy with Australia because they were not there when we asked them to be there' regarding the Strait of Hormuz on April 16, 2026, outside the White House.
- Australia’s Defence Minister Richard Marles stated on April 16–17, 2026, that 'we’ve not received a specific request in relation to the Strait of Hormuz' from the US.
- Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on April 16–17, 2026, that 'there’s been no new requests at all' from the US regarding the Strait of Hormuz.
- Australia is participating in a 40-nation summit hosted by the UK and France on April 17, 2026 (Paris time) to discuss safeguarding shipping in the Strait of Hormuz.
- Australia has deployed an E-7 Wedgetail aircraft to support the defence of Gulf States, including the UAE, as requested by the UAE government.
- Trump previously posted on Truth Social (March 2026) that 'we no longer “need,” or desire, the NATO Countries’ assistance' and singled out Australia, Japan, and South Korea.
- Australia announced an extra $53 billion in defence spending over the next decade, with defence expenditure rising to 2.3–2.4% of GDP by 2033 (below the 3.5% US target).
- Iran reimposed restrictions on the Strait of Hormuz on April 18, 2026, after a temporary ceasefire, citing 'repeated breaches of trust' by the US.
- Australia secured 100 million litres of diesel from Brunei and South Korea, and 20% of its fertilizer needs from Indonesia, due to fuel supply disruptions.
Points of Difference
Details reported by only one source:
- Treasurer Jim Chalmers said Australia is not aware of any formal request from the US for assistance in the Strait of Hormuz.
- Prime Minister Albanese announced purchases of 100 million litres of diesel from Brunei and South Korea, with further deals expected with Indonesia.
- Defence Minister Marles mentioned Australia’s E-7 Wedgetail is currently in the region providing 'important work' for Gulf defence, particularly the UAE.
- Former Australian ambassador to the US Arthur Sinodinos said Trump’s lashing out at allies is due to 'frustration that the war is taking longer than he expected'.
- Shadow Defence Minister James Paterson called the contradiction between Trump’s claims and Australia’s denials 'unfortunate' and asked Albanese to clarify with Trump.
- Defence Industry Minister Pat Conroy confirmed Australia had no formal or informal requests to join a naval coalition in the Strait of Hormuz, only a request to deploy the Wedgetail to defend the UAE.
- Trump did not directly answer what he had asked Australia to do in the Strait of Hormuz, only repeating 'they were not there having to do with Hormuz'.
- The Guardian noted Trump’s repeated criticism of Australia, Japan, and South Korea in a Truth Social post where he claimed the US 'does not need the help of anyone'.
- Defence Minister Marles said Australia would 'contribute in whatever is the best way that we can' to efforts in the Strait of Hormuz when circumstances allow.
- The SMH reported that Albanese 'ducked questions' about Trump’s accusations during a press conference at the Geelong oil refinery.
- Treasurer Jim Chalmers said Trump’s criticism of Australia’s defence spending was 'not unusual' and that the US often calls for more investment from allies.
Where the reporting differs
Details that conflict, or appear in only some outlets:
- Donald Trump claims Australia was asked to help in the Strait of Hormuz, but Australian officials including Albanese, Marles, and Chalmers consistently state no formal or specific request was made.
- Trump previously said the US 'no longer needs' allies' help, including Australia’s, but later accused Australia of not supporting the US in the Strait of Hormuz.
- The Guardian and SMH report Trump did not specify what Australia was asked to do, while Australian officials insist no request was made at all.
- Newscomau and Guardian note Trump’s social media post claiming the US does not need allies, but Trump’s public statements contradict this by accusing Australia of failing to help.
- Article 5 (Newscomau) states Iran reimposed restrictions on the Strait of Hormuz on April 18, 2026, but no other source confirms this exact date or context.
Source Articles
Trump repeats he is 'not happy with Australia' as Hormuz crisis continues
Donald Trump again accuses Australia of refusing to help the US in the Strait of Hormuz, but the Australian government maintains there has been no formal request from the US.
‘No change’: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese’s defiant response to Donald Trump
The Prime Minister has thrown the US President’s own words back at him after his latest public attack. Now tensions are boiling over.
Donald Trump again accuses Australia of not doing enough to help him in the Middle East – video
Donald Trump has again accused Australia of not doing enough to help him in the Middle East war. The US president made the comments while taking questions from reporters, including Australian correspondents, as he left the White House on Thursday. In response to a question about whether he was satisfied with Australia’s increased defence expenditure, Trump said 'Well, I’m not happy with Australia because they were not there when we asked them to be there.' Pressed by a journalist on what he had
Shock reveal: Trump’s ‘not happy’ with Aus
Australia’s Deputy Prime Minister has called our relationship with the US ‘profoundly important’ following a series of damning comments made by US President Donald Trump
Huge confusion over Trump’s Hormuz call
Australia has made a big claim about Donald Trump’s call for support in the Strait of Hormuz, after Iran reimposed restrictions on the vital shipping waterway.
News live: PM visits Geelong refinery after fire; Trump renews accusations Australia hasn’t done enough to help in strait of Hormuz;
Follow updates live Get our breaking news email , free app or daily news podcast The prime minister, Anthony Albanese , is speaking in Corio, Victoria. He returned early from his overseas trip after a fire at an oil refinery in the town near Geelong. I’ll bring you more details from the press conference in a moment. We’ve not received a specific request in relation to the strait of Hormuz, but we’ll work with all partners, our allies, and that very much includes the US in terms of whatever needs
‘I’m not happy’: Trump renews criticism of Australia on Iran; Albanese ducks questions
Seemingly unmoved by Canberra’s $53 billion defence spending hike, the US president instead took the opportunity to condemn Australia for not helping with reopening the Strait of Hormuz.
No ‘specific request’ to help US in strait of Hormuz, Marles says, as Trump repeats criticism of Australia
US president told reporters he was ‘not happy with Australia because they were not there when we asked them to be there’ Follow our Australia news live blog for latest updates Get our breaking news email , free app or daily news podcast Donald Trump has again accused Australia of not doing enough to help him in the Middle East war, claiming the US “asked them to be there” despite Australia’s defence minister saying there had been no “specific request”. The US president made the comments while ta
More Technology stories
Meta trial over social media addiction in children begins in California
Prince Harry and others ordered to pay legal costs to Daily Mail publisher after losing privacy lawsuit
Mass bird deaths linked to H5 bird flu in Australia’s southern states
Natalie Harp’s rise as Trump’s loyal aide and recent media scrutiny over her role
Brethren church accused of paying far-right activists to disrupt 2025 federal election
NSW ICAC inquiry into Catholic Schools NSW CEO Dallas McInerney and Liberal Party corruption allegations
Latest cross-verified stories
Sydney Swans players linked to sexual assault allegations and club sanctions
Australia vs Bangladesh Test series in 2026, featuring historic upsets and batting struggles
Ukraine targets Wildberries warehouses and Russian infrastructure with drone strikes amid escalating war
Australia’s largest gun buyback scheme after Bondi terror attack
Legal battles over Trump's White House ballroom construction
Ebola outbreak in DRC surpasses historical deadliness with rapid spread and containment challenges
Browse all stories from April 2026 in the archive.