Iran reopens Strait of Hormuz amid US-Iran ceasefire and shifting oil markets
Consensus Summary
The core story revolves around Iran's announcement on April 17, 2026, that the Strait of Hormuz would be 'completely open' for commercial shipping during the ceasefire with Lebanon, leading to a sharp 10% drop in oil prices. The reopening followed a 10-day truce between Israel and Lebanon, raising hopes for broader peace talks between the US and Iran. However, the situation quickly turned volatile as Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) closed the Strait again on April 18 after ships reported being fired upon by Iranian gunboats. The US maintained its naval blockade of Iran's ports, insisting it would remain in place until a final deal was reached. US President Donald Trump claimed Iran had agreed to never close the Strait again, but Iranian officials denied this, warning the Strait would remain closed until the US lifted its blockade. The Strait's closure had previously removed over 500 million barrels of crude from the global market, causing significant energy supply disruptions. Despite Trump's optimistic statements about negotiations, Iranian officials emphasized unresolved differences, particularly over the US blockade and nuclear issues, including Iran's stockpile of over 900 pounds of 60% enriched uranium. The situation reflects a fragile ceasefire and ongoing tensions between the US and Iran, with both sides imposing blockades and negotiating through intermediaries like Pakistan.
✓ Verified by 2+ sources
Key details reported by multiple sources:
- Iran declared the Strait of Hormuz 'completely open' for commercial vessels on April 17, 2026, for the duration of the ceasefire with Lebanon.
- Oil prices dropped over 10% after Iran's announcement, with Brent crude falling from around $98 to $86.52 per barrel.
- The Strait of Hormuz closure had removed over 500 million barrels of crude and condensate from the global market, per Kpler data.
- US President Donald Trump welcomed Iran's announcement but stated the US naval blockade of Iran's ports would remain until a 'transaction' with Iran was '100% complete'.
- Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi announced the reopening on April 17, 2026, via X (Twitter), specifying a 'coordinated route' near Larak Island.
- Iran reopened the Strait of Hormuz in response to a 10-day ceasefire between Israel and Lebanon, which began on April 16, 2026.
- Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) later closed the Strait of Hormuz again on April 18, 2026, after ships reported being fired upon by Iranian gunboats.
- Iran's Supreme National Security Council stated the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US lifted its naval blockade.
- Iran possesses over 900 pounds (408 kg) of uranium enriched to 60% purity, according to US and Iranian sources.
- US President Donald Trump claimed Iran had agreed to never close the Strait of Hormuz again, but this was denied by Iranian officials.
Points of Difference
Details reported by only one source:
- Iran's navy has been using Marine VHF 16 to relay threats and warnings to ships in the Gulf.
- A dozen ships initially headed toward the Strait of Hormuz entrance but made a U-turn shortly after.
- US President Donald Trump mentioned 'nuclear dust' and said the US would 'excavate' it with Iran, calling it a 'leisurely pace' process.
- Trump denied a $20 billion cash-for-uranium deal, calling it 'totally false'.
- A Filipino sailor named Khen expressed trauma and uncertainty about the Strait's status, saying 'We've lost hope again because Hormuz is closed once more.'
- The Norwegian Shipowners' Association (NSA) CEO Knut Arild Hareide listed mines, Iranian conditions, and practical implementation as key concerns for shipping companies.
- US President Donald Trump said the US blockade would remain until 'our transaction with Iran is 100% complete'.
- Iran threatened to re-close the Strait of Hormuz if the US did not withdraw its blockade.
- Iran's parliamentary speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf warned the Strait of Hormuz would shut again if the US blockade continued.
- Iranian state media reported the Supreme National Security Council required the Leader's approval for the Strait's reopening.
- The UK Maritime Trade Operations Centre reported a tanker was fired upon by two IRGC gunboats without a VHF challenge.
- Iran's deputy foreign minister Saeed Khatibzadeh said the US 'cannot impose their will to do a siege over Iran'.
- Iran's Khatam al-Anbiya joint military command stated the Strait would remain under 'strict management and control by the armed forces'.
- Iran's Supreme National Security Council said it was 'determined' to enforce control over the Strait of Hormuz until the end of the war.
- Iran's central military command announced on state television that it would resume 'strict management' of the Strait after the US continued its blockade.
- Trump claimed Iran had 'agreed to never close the Strait of Hormuz again', despite Iran's statements to the contrary.
- Trump claimed Iran had agreed to never close the Strait of Hormuz again, calling it a 'great and brilliant day for the world'.
- Trump said the US would work with Lebanon to 'deal with' Hezbollah separately from the Iran deal.
- Trump's post on Truth Social stated 'No money will exchange hands in any way, shape, or form' regarding uranium.
- China was open to taking possession or downgrading some 440 kilograms of Iran's enriched uranium, per an AP report.
Where the reporting differs
Details that conflict, or appear in only some outlets:
- The Guardian and ABC report that Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi announced the Strait of Hormuz would be open for the 'remaining period of ceasefire', but Trump claimed Iran had agreed to never close it again, which Iranian officials denied.
- ABC and Guardian report that Iran's Supreme National Security Council required the Leader's approval for the Strait's reopening, but this detail is not mentioned in other sources.
- The Guardian and ABC report that Iran's IRGC fired upon ships attempting to transit the Strait of Hormuz, but Trump dismissed Iran's closure as them 'getting cute' and claimed negotiations were 'working out really well'.
- ABC and The Age report that Trump denied a $20 billion cash-for-uranium deal, but The Age also notes China's openness to handling Iran's uranium, which Trump did not address.
- ABC and Guardian report that Iran's closure of the Strait was due to the US continuing its naval blockade, but Trump stated the blockade would remain until a deal was '100% complete'.
Source Articles
Oil prices plunge after news Strait of Hormuz to open
Oil prices plunged more than 10 per cent after Iran declared the Strait of Hormuz would be "completely open" but shipping giants are approaching the situation with caution.
Iran declares Strait of Hormuz 'completely open' as Israel-Lebanon truce takes effect
US President Donald Trump welcomed the news, but said the US' blockade would remain until "our transaction with Iran is 100% complete".
Live: Trump says US will go into Iran to remove 'nuclear dust'
Should a peace deal with Tehran be reached, the US president says he expects the US to work with Iran to recover what's left of its enriched uranium. Follow live.
Iran declares Strait of Hormuz open, tells US to withdraw blockade
US President Donald Trump welcomed the news, but said the US' blockade would remain until "our transaction with Iran is 100% complete".
Trump news at a glance: president celebrates strait of Hormuz reopening, though Iran officials warn they could close it again
Iran’s parliamentary speaker warned it would will shut the strait again if the US blockade continues, which Trump said would remain in place until the conflict was fully concluded – key US politics stories from 17 April at a glance Iran’s foreign minister has said that the strait of Hormuz is now fully open to commercial vessels, reinforcing hopes for an eventual end to the war in the Middle East and sending oil prices tumbling. In a barrage of social media posts, Donald Trump claimed on Friday
Iran declares Strait of Hormuz open as Lebanon ceasefire begins
US President Donald Trump immediately welcomed the news from Tehran but went on to warn that the US blockade of Iran's ports would continue.
Live: Iran opens fire on ships travelling through Strait of Hormuz
The two Indian-flagged vessels reported being fired upon by gunboats from Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, just a day after the strait was declared open by Iran's foreign minister. Follow live.
HUGE BREAKTHROUGH: Strait of Hormuz declared ‘fully open’ by Iran
Iran has unexpectedly said the Strait of Hormuz is now “fully open” – at least for a few days – while Donald Trump has told Israel “enough is enough”. Follow live
Uncertainty in Strait of Hormuz as ceasefire deadline approaches
There is an intense uncertainty and volatility on the vital shipping waterway which is at the centre of a growing energy crisis.
Price of oil tumbles as Iran, Trump declare Strait of Hormuz ‘completely open’
In a series of social media posts, Trump foreshadowed a deal with Iran to end the war, including the US taking Iran’s highly enriched uranium, and said he had banned Israel from bombing Lebanon any further.
Iran closes strait of Hormuz again ‘until US lifts blockade’
IRGC reportedly fires on tanker as it tries to pass through strait during brief window when shipping lane had reopened Analysis: Trump and Tehran’s series of mismanaged posts stall progress towards peace Iranian officials say they have reversed the reopening of the strait of Hormuz and reimposed restrictions on the vital shipping lane after the US said it would not end its blockade of Iranian ports. A UK maritime agency reported that Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) ships had fired at a
Iran says strait closed over broken promise
Iran has reversed its decision to opening the Strait of Hormuz, while slamming the US for breaking a promise. Follow for live updates.
More World stories
Ukraine targets Wildberries warehouses and Russian infrastructure with drone strikes amid escalating war
Ebola outbreak in DRC surpasses historical deadliness with rapid spread and containment challenges
Trump scales back US-South Korea military drills amid North Korea tensions
Magnitude 7.7-7.8 earthquake and tsunami warning in Indonesia’s Flores region
Netflix's 2026 adaptation of *My Brilliant Career* by Miles Franklin
Colombia earthquake disaster: deaths, damage, and response efforts
Latest cross-verified stories
Sydney Swans players linked to sexual assault allegations and club sanctions
Australia vs Bangladesh Test series in 2026, featuring historic upsets and batting struggles
Meta trial over social media addiction in children begins in California
Prince Harry and others ordered to pay legal costs to Daily Mail publisher after losing privacy lawsuit
Mass bird deaths linked to H5 bird flu in Australia’s southern states
Australia’s largest gun buyback scheme after Bondi terror attack
Browse all stories from April 2026 in the archive.