AFL player Lance Collard faces disciplinary action for alleged homophobic slur
Consensus Summary
The AFL player Lance Collard faced disciplinary action after being found guilty of using a homophobic slur against Frankston's Darby Hipwell during a VFL match on March 27, 2026. Collard, who denied the allegation and insisted he said 'Come here, maggot,' was initially handed a nine-week suspension by the AFL tribunal, which was later reduced to four weeks on appeal. The case sparked significant debate about the AFL's handling of homophobic language, with the appeal board's controversial reasoning that such language is 'commonplace' in football drawing widespread criticism. Collard, a 21-year-old Noongar and Yamatji man, had previously been banned for six matches in 2024 for using the same slur. The tribunal process also highlighted broader issues of procedural fairness and the impact of public hearings on players and witnesses, including concerns about deterring players from reporting slurs in the future. The AFL has maintained its zero-tolerance stance on homophobic language, but the case has raised questions about consistency and the cultural challenges within the sport.
✓ Verified by 2+ sources
Key details reported by multiple sources:
- Lance Collard was found guilty by the AFL tribunal of using a homophobic slur ('f***ing f*****') against Frankston player Darby Hipwell during a VFL match on March 27, 2026.
- Collard denied the allegation and insisted he said 'Come here, maggot' instead, signing a statutory declaration to this effect.
- Collard was initially handed a nine-week suspension (with two weeks suspended) by the AFL tribunal for the slur.
- Collard is a Noongar and Yamatji man, aged 21, and was drafted by St Kilda in 2023.
- Collard was previously banned for six matches in 2024 for using the same homophobic slur.
- The AFL tribunal hearing took place on April 9, 2026, with deliberations continuing until April 10, 2026.
- St Kilda appealed the nine-week suspension, arguing it was 'crippling' and excessive for Collard's career.
- The appeal board reduced Collard's suspension to four weeks (with two weeks suspended) on April 23, 2026.
- Collard is already serving a two-match ban for a high hit on Jackson Voss in the same VFL match.
- The AFL has no tolerance for homophobic language, as stated in multiple official statements.
Points of Difference
Details reported by only one source:
- St Kilda coach Ross Lyon called the AFL tribunal process a 'firestorm' and said it put unnecessary stress on players.
- The AFL's legal counsel, Andrew Woods SC, described St Kilda's legal arguments as 'valiant attempts but ultimately without basis'.
- The appeal board's reasoning included the statement that 'football is a hard game' and that racist, sexist, or homophobic language is 'commonplace' among players, sparking widespread criticism.
- AFL boss Andrew Dillon explicitly rejected the appeal board's claim that such language is commonplace, stating it has 'no place in Australian football'.
- The appeal board noted that Frankston player Darby Hipwell was not personally offended by the slur, which was cited as a factor in reducing the penalty.
- Former West Coast AFL player Mitch Brown, who is openly bisexual, criticized the appeal board's decision, calling it 'disappointing and dangerous' and stating it undermined the AFL's zero-tolerance policy.
- The Guardian article included a detailed analysis of the power imbalances in the tribunal hearing and the broader cultural issues in the AFL regarding homophobia.
- The appeal board's full written reasoning was quoted extensively, including the controversial statement about the 'commonplace' nature of offensive language in football.
- The article highlighted the impact of the case on the LGBTQIA+ community, noting increased online homophobia following the incident.
- The AFL Players Association (AFLPA) called for a 'more effective and united approach' to addressing homophobia, emphasizing the need for education and community engagement.
- The article described Collard's suspension as a 'mammoth' nine-week ban, emphasizing the severity of the penalty.
- The article noted that Collard's lawyer, Michael Borsky KC, argued that the suspension could 'ruin his life' and was 'unfairly punitive'.
- The article mentioned that Collard had been 'jostled, roughed up, and verbally abused' by Frankston players before the incident.
Where the reporting differs
Details that conflict, or appear in only some outlets:
- The ABC and Guardian report that Collard was initially handed a nine-week suspension, but the Guardian also states that the tribunal initially considered a 10-week suspension before settling on nine weeks.
- The appeal board's reasoning in the Guardian and ABC suggests that Collard's previous misconduct in 2024 was 'probably far more serious' than the current incident, while St Kilda's legal team argued the current incident was more serious due to the context of the melee.
- The ABC and Guardian both report that Collard's suspension was reduced to four weeks on appeal, but the ABC also states that the final suspension was four weeks with two weeks suspended, while the Guardian states it was two weeks with two weeks suspended (totaling four weeks).
- The appeal board's statement that offensive language is 'commonplace' in football was strongly rejected by AFL boss Andrew Dillon, who called it 'dangerous' and contrary to the league's zero-tolerance policy.
- The Guardian and ABC both report that Collard's suspension was reduced due to its 'crippling' impact on his career, but the Guardian emphasizes that the appeal board also considered Collard's Indigenous background and difficult upbringing as factors, while the ABC focuses more on the excessive nature of the penalty.
Source Articles
Live: Collard faces hearing to appeal nine-week ban over homophobic slur
St Kilda appeals the AFL's nine-week suspension handed to forward Lance Collard over a homophobic slur. Follow live.
St Kilda's Collard to learn sanction after being found guilty of homophobic slur
St Kilda forward Lance Collard will learn via an AFL hearing how heavy a suspension he will receive after being found guilty of using a homophobic slur towards a VFL opponent.
St Kilda player Lance Collard found guilty by AFL of using homophobic slur
Sanction still to be determined after two-day tribunal hearing 21-year-old previously suspended for ‘highly offensive’ abuse in 2024 St Kilda forward Lance Collard has been found guilty of using a homophobic slur against an opponent, leaving his AFL career hanging in the balance. Collard had rejected suggestions he called his Frankston opponent a “f*****” during a VFL match last month. Continue reading...
Saint to learn fate over alleged homophobic slur after marathon hearing
Lance Collard may face 10 weeks on the sidelines if found guilty of using a homophobic slur, after an AFL disciplinary tribunal held over its verdict until Friday.
Collard's 'crippling' ban for homophobic slur reduced on appeal
St Kilda successfully appeals the AFL's nine-week ban handed to forward Lance Collard over a homophobic slur, reducing it to four weeks with two suspended.
Saints forward to face tribunal for alleged homophobic slur
St Kilda forward Lance Collard will front a disciplinary tribunal hearing next week after he allegedly used a homophobic slur during a VFL match.
St Kilda announces appeal against Collard ban for homophobic slur
St Kilda is appealing the nine-match ban given to Lance Collard for uttering a homophobic comment, saying the young forward maintains his innocence.
Collard handed monster ban over 'entirely unacceptable' homophobic slur
St Kilda forward Lance Collard is suspended after a marathon AFL Tribunal hearing with a deliberation of over 90 minutes.
Saints player faces tribunal for alleged slur
The incident comes less than two years after the VFL player was hit with a six-match ban over an allegation of a similar incident on the field.
St Kilda’s Lance Collard given lengthy ban by AFL for homophobic slur
AFL tribunal hands out seven-week ban to Saints player Collard denied using slur though he had admitted using it in 2024 St Kilda forward Lance Collard has been banned for seven weeks by the AFL tribunal for directing a homophobic slur towards an opponent. The penalty, which includes a further two-week ban suspended until the end of the 2027 season, was announced at a sanctions hearing on Tuesday afternoon. Continue reading...
'Genuinely speechless': Appeal board's stunning claim in homophobia case
The appeal board in the Lance Collard homophobia case says homophobic and racist language is commonplace in the AFL due to the "highly competitive" nature of the game.
St Kilda's Lance Collard found guilty of using homophobic slur against opponent
St Kilda forward Lance Collard has been found guilty of using a homophobic slur against an opponent, leaving his AFL career hanging in the balance.
The decision to reduce Lance Collard’s AFL ban is not only disappointing, but dangerous | Mitch Brown
I can accept the decision and authority of the appeal board, but I cannot accept that racist, sexist and homophobic language is excused as ‘commonplace’ in a ‘highly competitive’ game The AFL appeal board’s decision to reduce the penalty handed to Lance Collard for allegedly using a homophobic slur, from nine games to four, is truly bewildering. If there is any positive to take from it, it is that I have never seen an AFL disciplinary hearing’s outcome so universally derided as this one, from al
From the Pocket: AFL tribunal verdicts sit as uneasily as any in recent memory
Want to get this in your inbox every Wednesday afternoon? Sign up for the AFL newsletter here Two cases rocked the football industry this week, one your typical footy folderol that everyone hyperventilates over for several days, the other an incident that cut to the core of a league trying to effect serious cultural change. In both instances, all parties professed absolute certainty in their version of events. First, to the relatively trivial matter, where umpire Nick Foot alleged that Port Adel
Mitch Brown on the AFL’s homophobia problem – podcast
The AFL has again found itself embroiled in allegations of on-field homophobia. St Kilda’s Lance Collard was handed a nine-week suspension for using a homophobic slur. His penalty was reduced on appeal, but the reasoning given by the appeals board has angered many. Former West Coast AFL footballer Mitch Brown , who last year became the first player to come out as bisexual, says the decision is both disappointing and dangerous. He speaks to Nour Haydar Read more: The decision to reduce Lance Coll
Collard hearing leaves no winners while queer community further bruised
Lance Collard was handed a monster suspension after being found guilty of using a homophobic slur in the first AFL disciplinary hearing.
Saint cops mammoth ban for homophobic slur
The AFL has handed down a historically long suspension to St Kilda forward Lance Collard for his homophobic slur in the VFL.
Breaking: AFL 'specifically rejects' suggestion slurs commonplace among players
AFL CEO Andrew Dillon responds after the appeals board chair suggests slurs are commonplace among the league's players.
AFL player Lance Collard’s ‘crippling’ ban for allegedly using homophobic slur slashed on appeal
Tribunal verdict upheld that St Kilda player guilty of conduct unbecoming Reduced four-week suspension comes with two weeks suspended St Kilda forward Lance Collard will serve a two-week suspension over his latest homophobic slur after having his ban reduced by the AFL appeal board. Collard was initially banned for seven weeks , with a further two weeks suspended, after being found guilty of calling a VFL opponent a “fucking faggot” last month. He denied the allegation. Continue reading...
Collard's extraordinary AFL disciplinary hearing sets new precedent
In an AFL first, St Kilda's Lance Collard has faced an disciplinary tribunal hearing for conduct unbecoming.
More Sport stories
Sydney Swans players linked to sexual assault allegations and club sanctions
Australia vs Bangladesh Test series in 2026, featuring historic upsets and batting struggles
Jeff Bezos-led consortium acquires Liverpool FC stake
Arthur Fery and Alex de Minaur clash at Cincinnati Masters 1000 after Wimbledon run
Australia's Lani Pallister dominates Pan Pacific Swimming Championships 2026, breaking Katie Ledecky's streak
Death of 19-year-old cyclist Finlay Tarling during Volta a Portugal stage 8
Latest cross-verified stories
Ukraine targets Wildberries warehouses and Russian infrastructure with drone strikes amid escalating war
Meta trial over social media addiction in children begins in California
Prince Harry and others ordered to pay legal costs to Daily Mail publisher after losing privacy lawsuit
Mass bird deaths linked to H5 bird flu in Australia’s southern states
Australia’s largest gun buyback scheme after Bondi terror attack
Natalie Harp’s rise as Trump’s loyal aide and recent media scrutiny over her role
Browse all stories from April 2026 in the archive.