← Back to Stories

Oleksandr Usyk retains WBC heavyweight title via controversial stoppage over Rico Verhoeven

3 hours ago2 articles from 2 sources

Consensus Summary

Oleksandr Usyk retained his WBC heavyweight title in a controversial stoppage victory over Rico Verhoeven at the Pyramids of Giza on May 24, 2026. The fight, initially considered a mismatch, saw Verhoeven, a former kickboxer with only one prior boxing fight, dominate early rounds with aggressive tactics and powerful right hands. Usyk, who weighed in heavier than usual, struggled to find his rhythm, with some scorecards even favoring Verhoeven. In the final seconds of the 11th round, Usyk dropped Verhoeven with a right uppercut, prompting the referee to stop the fight before Verhoeven could recover. Verhoeven expressed disappointment, stating he believed the fight was even and that he could have won on the scorecards or in the 12th round. Usyk, who extended his unbeaten record to 25 fights, reflected on the emotional weight of the victory amid the ongoing war in Ukraine, where his family and daughter were in bomb shelters. The fight’s chaotic ending and Verhoeven’s unexpected performance made it one of the most talked-about upsets in boxing history, had it gone differently.

✓ Verified by 2+ sources

Key details reported by multiple sources:

  • Oleksandr Usyk retained the WBC World Heavyweight Championship with a round 11 stoppage of Rico Verhoeven on 2026-05-24 at the Pyramids of Giza, Egypt.
  • The fight was held at the Pyramids of Giza, with Usyk adopting a Roman centurion-themed outfit and Verhoeven walking out as a pharaoh with flaming torches.
  • Rico Verhoeven, a former kickboxer, had only one prior professional boxing fight, which was 12 years ago.
  • Usyk dropped Verhoeven with a right uppercut in the final seconds of the 11th round, prompting the referee to stop the fight.
  • Verhoeven stated, 'I thought it was an early stoppage but in the end it’s not up to me,' and said Usyk offered a rematch.
  • Usyk extended his unbeaten record to 25 fights with this victory.
  • Verhoeven’s corner believed he had been saved by the bell before the referee intervened.

Points of Difference

Details reported by only one source:

ABC News
  • Usyk’s WBA and IBF belts would have been vacated if he lost, as he was only fighting for the WBC title.
  • Usyk mentioned his daughter sent him a message saying, 'Papa, I love you, I'm afraid,' while he was fighting.
  • The fight was described as a mismatch, but Verhoeven ‘tore up the script’ with aggressive tactics, with some scorecards putting him ahead.
  • Usyk weighed in heavier than ever and looked lethargic at times during the fight.
The Guardian
  • Verhoeven said he was thankful for the opportunity and revealed he felt the fight was 'pretty even on the scorecards.'
  • Usyk struggled to find his range early, with Verhoeven landing vicious right hands in the opening round.
  • Usyk had a strong fourth round, rocking Verhoeven with an uppercut, but failed to assert dominance until the 11th round.

Contradictions

Conflicting information between sources:

  • ABC states Usyk’s WBA and IBF belts would have been vacated if he lost, while the Guardian does not mention this detail explicitly.
  • ABC describes Usyk as 'looking strangely lethargic at times,' while the Guardian emphasizes Verhoeven’s 'bulldozing aggression' as the primary factor in Usyk’s struggles.

Source Articles

ABC

Heavyweight champ avoids shock upset with controversial stoppage

Ukraine's unbeaten heavyweight world champion Oleksandr Usyk stopped Dutch former kickboxer Rico Verhoeven with one second left in the penultimate round of their WBC title fight.

GUARDIAN

Usyk rescues controversial victory against Verhoeven with last-gasp stoppage

Ukrainian keeps unbeaten record with 11th-round TKO Dutch kickboxing great threatened to cause huge upset Oleksandr Usyk, Ukraine’s unbeaten heavyweight world champion , stopped the Dutch former kickboxer Rico Verhoeven with one second remaining in the penultimate round to avoid what would have been one of the greatest boxing upsets of all time on Saturday. The WBC title fight at the Pyramids of Giza was considered a mismatch but Verhoeven, whose sole previous professional boxing fight was 12 ye