← Back to Stories

Disability advocate removed from Virgin Australia flight over wheelchair motor stowage issue

By Updated Yesterday2 articles from 2 sources

Consensus Summary

Shane Hryhorec, a 41-year-old Adelaide-based disability advocate, was removed from a Virgin Australia flight from Sydney to Adelaide on Monday after crew instructed him to store his portable wheelchair motor under the seat, despite no space being available. Hryhorec had previously taken three flights with Virgin Australia that week and three prior flights last week without issue, including storing the motor in overhead lockers. The incident was captured in a viral video, leading to an apology from Virgin Australia on Wednesday afternoon. Both sources confirm Hryhorec’s service dog’s location prevented relocation, and the airline is reviewing its policies. The Guardian notes Hryhorec’s prior complaints to the Australian Human Rights Commission and broader systemic issues, while the ABC highlights the immediate passenger count and the airline’s ongoing review.

✓ Verified by 2+ sources

Key details reported by multiple sources:

  • Shane Hryhorec, a 41-year-old Adelaide-based disability advocate with C5 incomplete quadriplegia, was removed from a Virgin Australia flight on Monday over an issue with storing his portable wheelchair motor.
  • Hryhorec had taken three flights with Virgin Australia during the previous week with no issue, including storing the wheelchair motor in the overhead locker.
  • Hryhorec had also taken three Virgin flights before without an issue, including three prior Virgin flights last week.
  • Virgin Australia apologized to Hryhorec on Wednesday afternoon, two days after he published a viral video of the incident.
  • Hryhorec’s service dog was required to remain in the third row, preventing his relocation to another seat.
  • The incident occurred on a flight from Sydney to Adelaide.

Points of Difference

Details reported by only one source:

ABC News
  • Hryhorec posted about the incident on social media on Monday night.
  • Hryhorec stated the incident occurred in the year 2026.
  • Hryhorec mentioned 200 or so passengers were on the flight.
  • Virgin Australia is reviewing the incident to understand seating or stowage requirements in advance.
  • Hryhorec said he spoke with cabin staff about storing the battery in another row or moving to another seat.
The Guardian
  • The video of the incident received 16 million views on TikTok and Instagram combined.
  • Hryhorec had previously complained to the Australian Human Rights Commission and would not withdraw it until changes were made.
  • Between 2016 and 2022, the Australian Human Rights Commission received more than 100 disability discrimination complaints against airlines.
  • The federal government in 2024 released an aviation white paper recognizing barriers faced by people with disabilities in air travel.
  • In April, Adelaide airport apologized to Hryhorec after a staff member incorrectly told his mother she could not pick him up from the disability parking bay.

Contradictions

Conflicting information between sources:

  • The ABC states the incident occurred on Monday, while the Guardian does not explicitly confirm the day but mentions the apology was given on Wednesday afternoon, two days after the video was published.

Source Articles

ABC

Disability advocate removed from Virgin flight over wheelchair motor dispute

Virgin Australia says it is reviewing an incident where a wheelchair user was removed from a flight after his battery-powered motor could not be stored in overhead lockers on board.

GUARDIAN

Virgin Australia apologises to disability advocate removed from flight over wheelchair motor

Shane Hryhorec’s viral video showing the interaction with flight staff has already garnered 16m views Get our breaking news email , free app or daily news podcast Virgin Australia has apologised to a disability advocate who said he was “humiliated” by his removal from a flight over his wheelchair motor. The airline called Shane Hryhorec on Wednesday afternoon to offer an apology, two days after the Adelaide-based man published a viral video showing the incident onboard a flight from Sydney. Cont