Trump administration official Joe Kent resigns over Iran war, accusing Israel of influencing US action
Consensus Summary
Joe Kent, a senior Trump administration official and director of the National Counterterrorism Center, resigned on March 12, 2025, over the US-led war in Iran. In his resignation letter, Kent claimed Iran posed no imminent threat to the US and accused Israel and its American lobby of pressuring Trump into the conflict, comparing it to the Iraq War. Trump responded by calling Kent 'weak on security' and dismissed his claims as false, while White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt labeled Kent’s letter 'insulting and laughable.' Kent, a military veteran and former Trump supporter, had previously praised Trump’s foreign policy but now criticized the Iran war as unjustified and costly. His resignation marked the first major White House resignation over the conflict and highlighted growing dissent within Trump’s base, including from figures like Tucker Carlson and Megyn Kelly. The war itself has faced criticism from both sides of the political spectrum, with low public support and rising fuel prices exacerbating political fallout. Meanwhile, Trump’s strained relationships with allies like NATO and Australia have been exposed as he insists the US does not need their help in the conflict.
✓ Verified by 2+ sources
Key details reported by multiple sources:
- Joe Kent resigned as director of the US National Counterterrorism Center on March 12, 2025, posting his resignation letter on social media (X).
- Kent’s resignation letter claimed Iran posed 'no imminent threat' to the US and accused Israel and its American lobby of pressuring Trump into the war.
- Donald Trump responded to Kent’s resignation by calling him 'weak on security' and stating 'we don’t want those people' who don’t believe Iran was a threat.
- White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt dismissed Kent’s resignation letter as containing 'false claims' and 'insulting' to Trump’s administration.
- Kent served as a Green Beret in the US Army for 20 years, including 11 deployments to Iraq, and his first wife Shannon Smith was killed in a suicide bombing in Syria in 2019.
- Kent was confirmed as director of the National Counterterrorism Center in July 2025 on a partisan 52-44 vote in the Senate.
- The US launched 'Operation Epic Fury' against Iran on February 28, 2025, marking the start of the conflict Kent resigned over.
- Tulsi Gabbard, Director of National Intelligence, stated she could not confirm whether Iran posed an imminent threat, emphasizing the president’s authority to decide.
- Kent’s resignation letter was widely shared on conservative media platforms, including interviews with Tucker Carlson and Megyn Kelly.
Points of Difference
Details reported by only one source:
- Kent was described as 'far right' and called those convicted of the January 6 insurrection 'political prisoners'.
- Kent’s resignation letter included a prayer for Trump to 'reflect upon what we are doing in Iran, and who we are doing it for'.
- Trump said Kent was 'nice' but 'very weak on security' and claimed 'every country recognized Iran was a threat'.
- White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said Kent’s resignation letter contained 'false claims' and that Trump had 'strong and compelling evidence' of an imminent Iranian threat.
- Kent’s resignation was the first major White House resignation over the US’ involvement in Iran.
- Kent accused Israeli officials and pro-Israel media outlets of running a 'misinformation campaign' to deceive Trump into believing Iran posed an imminent threat.
- Kent claimed Trump’s first administration avoided 'never-ending wars' but was later influenced by Israel to start the Iran conflict, comparing it to the Iraq War.
- Kent was associated with far-right figures like Graham Jorgensen (Proud Boys) and Joey Gibson (Patriot Prayer) during his congressional campaigns.
- Kent was accused of peddling antisemitic tropes by blaming an 'Israeli lobby' for the Iran conflict.
- Kent said he was 'not concerned' about an FBI investigation into alleged classified leaks but acknowledged potential political retaliation.
- Kent claimed Trump’s inner circle was dominated by Israeli officials and pro-Israel media, sidelining dissenting voices.
- Kent’s resignation was framed as a split within the MAGA movement, with some conservatives like Tucker Carlson and Megyn Kelly breaking with Trump over the war.
- Kent’s resignation letter was described as 'a bombshell' by the Guardian, with some Republicans like Rand Paul voting against Trump’s war powers.
- Kent’s resignation was linked to a broader unease among MAGA voters, with only 24% of independent voters approving Trump’s handling of Iran (Economist/YouGov poll).
- Kent’s resignation was framed as a rare instance of MAGA conservatives abandoning Trump over a war, despite forgiving him for other controversies.
- ABC noted that Trump’s rhetoric toward allies has 'ruptured long-standing relationships,' including with NATO and Australia, who were told they 'do not need' their help in the Iran war.
- ABC highlighted that Trump’s approval rating for handling Iran had dropped to -13.9, lower than his first term and predecessors at the same point.
- ABC mentioned that Trump’s popularity on inflation (36% approval) could be further impacted by rising fuel prices due to the Iran war.
- ABC reported that Trump’s campaign promise of lowering prices was being used against him by Democrats in the midterm elections.
- ABC noted that Kent’s ties to far-right figures like Nick Fuentes (antisemitic influencer) were criticized during his congressional campaigns.
- The SMH described Kent’s resignation letter as 'dripping in conspiratorial antisemitic tropes,' which were dismissed by the White House as 'insulting and laughable'.
- SMH quoted Taylor Budowich, a former White House deputy chief-of-staff, calling Kent a 'crazed egomaniac' who undermined the president.
- SMH highlighted Trump’s contradictory response to Kent, calling him 'nice' but 'weak on security,' and his claim that allies like Australia and NATO 'never needed' US help.
- SMH noted that Trump’s approach to allies has been described as 'cheap and nasty arrogance,' with allies feeling disrespected.
- SMH mentioned that Lindsey Graham, a Trump ally, described Trump as 'never heard so angry' over allies' reluctance to support the Iran war.
- Kent’s resignation was the first senior government official to quit over the Iran war, according to ABC and Guardian.
- Kent’s wife, Shannon Kent, was a Navy cryptologic technician killed in a suicide bombing in Manbij, Syria, in 2019 (Newscomaul, Guardian).
- Kent was accused of leaking classified information, with reports of an FBI investigation predating his resignation (Guardian).
- Kent’s resignation letter was posted on X (formerly Twitter) and widely shared on conservative media platforms (all sources).
- Kent’s resignation was confirmed by multiple sources as occurring on March 12, 2025 (all sources).
Where the reporting differs
Details that conflict, or appear in only some outlets:
- Newscomaul and Guardian both report Kent accused Israel of pressuring Trump into the war, but Guardian specifically frames this as a 'misinformation campaign' while Newscomaul describes it as 'pressure from Israel and its powerful American lobby'.
- Newscomaul states Trump called Kent 'weak on security' and said 'every country recognized Iran was a threat,' while Guardian notes Trump said 'every country realized what a threat Iran was' but also claimed NATO countries did not want to get involved in the conflict.
- Guardian reports Kent was associated with far-right figures like Nick Fuentes and accused of antisemitic tropes, while Newscomaul and ABC focus more on Kent’s military background and his resignation over the war.
- ABC and Guardian both report that Kent’s resignation was the first major White House resignation over the Iran war, but Guardian emphasizes the broader split within the MAGA movement, while ABC focuses on internal turbulence and political fallout.
- Guardian reports that Kent claimed Trump’s intelligence was 'dominated by Israeli officials and pro-Israel media,' while Newscomaul and ABC do not provide this specific claim.
Source Articles
Shock as Trump insider resigns over Iran war
A senior Trump official who resigned over the Iran War has led to fury in the White House after he claimed Tehran posed “no threat” to the US.
Trump counter-terrorism chief quits over Iran war, blaming Israel
Joe Kent resigned as national counter-terrorism center director, saying Iran posed no imminent threat to the US Sign up for the Breaking News US email to get newsletter alerts in your inbox Joe Kent, director of the National Counterterrorism Center and a far-right political figure and supporter of Donald Trump , resigned from his position on Tuesday in protest of the war in Iran. “I cannot in good conscience support the ongoing war in Iran,” Kent wrote in a resignation letter posted to X. “Iran
The US right wing can forgive Trump for anything – except his deeply unpopular war
Iran war has split some Maga conservatives from Trump and alienated young voters. What will it mean in the midterms? This was originally published in This Week in Trumpland; sign up to receive it in your inbox every Wednesday The American right wing has forgiven Donald Trump for his affairs , impeachments, mass deportations and the platforming of JD Vance . But having stuck with him through all that unpleasantness, it seems that we may have discovered the one thing that is capable of splitting s
Bombshell Iran, Israel claims rock Trump camp
A former Trump ally has come out swinging in a blistering new interview hours after his shock resignation in protest of the US’ war with Iran.
Donald Trump's first resignation over Iran may not be the last
After years of threats, insults and throwing the global world order into chaos, Donald Trump is being reminded at home and abroad that trust isn't just a nicety, it's essential when you need allies.
US counter-terrorism chief who resigned says he fears retaliation but has no regrets
Joe Kent, who left Trump administration over Iran war, tells Megyn Kelly ‘facts are on my side’ amid FBI investigation Sign up for the Breaking News US email to get newsletter alerts in your inbox The counter-terrorism official who resigned from Donald Trump’s administration over the US and Israel’s war against Iran has said he is bracing for political retribution – but would do it all again anyway. Asked by conservative podcaster Megyn Kelly if he was concerned about a pre-existing FBI search i
Live: Trump says US 'no longer' needs NATO allies, Australia in Iran war
Donald Trump says the US "do not need the help of anyone" in the war against Iran, calling out NATO allies and Australia in a fiery social media post. Follow live.
FBI probing US counter-terrorism chief who resigned over Iran war, reports say
The reported inquiry predates Joe Kent’s departure on Tuesday from his post as director of the national counter-terrorism center The resignation of Joe Kent , a senior counter-terrorism official who spoke out against the US war in Iran, took a dramatic turn on Wednesday with a report that he is under investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) over an alleged leak of classified information. The inquiry predates Kent’s departure on Tuesday from his post as director of the national
Trump news at a glance: calls for former counter-terror chief to face Congress after quitting over Iran war
Senior Democrat calls for Trump ally and far-right political figure Joe Kent to testify after resigning from his post A senior Democrat has called on Joe Kent, director of the US National Counterterrorism Center and a far-right political figure, to testify to Congress about why he resigned from his job over the war on Iran . California representative Ro Khanna’s call came after Kent, a supporter of Trump, wrote on X that “I cannot in good conscience support the ongoing war in Iran. Iran posed no
Trump, hit by the karma bus, wins on battlefield but loses on diplomacy
Allies are berated when they don’t offer to help, and belittled when they do. As with the sudden resignation of MAGA ally Joe Kent, what goes around comes around.
How a Trump backer's resignation hints at internal turbulence over Iran
He was once a staunch supporter of Donald Trump, but the president's war in Iran has proved too much for Joe Kent — and perhaps American voters.
More World stories
Ukraine targets Wildberries warehouses and Russian infrastructure with drone strikes amid escalating war
Ebola outbreak in DRC surpasses historical deadliness with rapid spread and containment challenges
Trump scales back US-South Korea military drills amid North Korea tensions
Magnitude 7.7-7.8 earthquake and tsunami warning in Indonesia’s Flores region
Netflix's 2026 adaptation of *My Brilliant Career* by Miles Franklin
Colombia earthquake disaster: deaths, damage, and response efforts
Latest cross-verified stories
Sydney Swans players linked to sexual assault allegations and club sanctions
Australia vs Bangladesh Test series in 2026, featuring historic upsets and batting struggles
Meta trial over social media addiction in children begins in California
Prince Harry and others ordered to pay legal costs to Daily Mail publisher after losing privacy lawsuit
Mass bird deaths linked to H5 bird flu in Australia’s southern states
Australia’s largest gun buyback scheme after Bondi terror attack
Browse all stories from March 2026 in the archive.