Allegations of physical and psychological abuse by Noma restaurant founder René Redzepi
Consensus Summary
The articles cover allegations of physical and psychological abuse committed by René Redzepi, the co-founder of the renowned Noma restaurant in Copenhagen, Denmark. The reports detail claims that Redzepi allegedly punched, jabbed, and slammed employees against walls during his tenure as head chef. Redzepi has acknowledged his past behavior and announced his resignation, taking responsibility for his actions. The allegations have led to sponsors cutting ties with Noma ahead of the opening of a high-profile pop-up restaurant in Los Angeles, which was also met with protests by former employees. The articles highlight the toxicity and abuse that has allegedly persisted in some elite restaurant kitchens, raising questions about the ethics and sustainability of the fine dining industry.
✓ Verified by 2+ sources
Key details reported by multiple sources:
- René Redzepi, the co-founder of the internationally acclaimed Copenhagen restaurant Noma, announced his resignation following allegations of physical and psychological abuse of staff
- The New York Times reported that Redzepi allegedly 'punched employees in the face, jabbed them with kitchen implements and slammed them against walls'
- Redzepi acknowledged his past behavior and said 'an apology is not enough; I take responsibility for my own actions'
- Noma is set to open a four-month pop-up restaurant in Los Angeles, but the opening was marked by protests by former employees
- American Express and Blackbird, a hospitality company, cut ties with Noma and cancelled events/reservations in the lead-up to the LA pop-up
Points of Difference
Details reported by only one source:
- Redzepi said he was also resigning from the board of Mad, a food industry non-profit he founded in 2011
- The Noma LA residency is charging $1,500 a ticket and sold out in three minutes
- Noma has been repeatedly ranked No 1 on the World's 50 Best Restaurants list
- Redzepi previously admitted to losing his cool, including in 2015 when he said 'I've been a bully for a large part of my career'
- Noma first opened in 2003, closed in 2016 and reopened two years later in a different location in Copenhagen
Where the reporting differs
Details that conflict, or appear in only some outlets:
- The Guardian article states that the allegations date back to 2009-2017, while the ABC article says they cover the period between 2009 and 2017.
Source Articles
Noma chef resigns amid shocking allegations of physical abuse of staff
René Redzepi also steps down from non-profit board after accusations of both physical and psychological abuse René Redzepi, the head chef and co-founder of Noma, announced Wednesday he was resigning from his internationally acclaimed Copenhagen restaurant following allegations that he had physically abused his staff. Redzepi had been facing protests in Los Angeles before a four-month pop-up that launched this week . His resignation comes after the New York Times detailed shocking allegations of
Co-founder of Copenhagen's Noma steps down after abuse allegations
René Redzepi, co-founder of Noma, repeatedly named the world's best restaurant, has announced he is stepping down. The decision follows reports of past abuse at the famed Copenhagen restaurant.
Noma loses major sponsors for Los Angeles events after reports of abuse
American Express and Blackbird cut ties with restaurant after René Redzepi accused of abusing his staff After allegations emerged this week that René Redzepi had abused his staff at Noma, once considered the world’s best restaurant, sponsors on Tuesday announced they would end their support for the chef’s upcoming events in Los Angeles. The New York Times reported that American Express and the hospitality company Blackbird have cut ties with Noma ahead of the Copenhagen restaurant’s four-month p
‘Highly problematic behavior’: Noma residency in LA starts with PR crisis
After stories of René Redzepi’s abuse of staff resurfaced, protests and sponsorship cancellations eclipsed the restaurant’s pop-up It was always going to be an indulgence for René Redzepi, the Danish-Albanian chef of Noma fame, to bring his exacting, innovative vision of haute cuisine to Los Angeles and spend several weeks tickling the palates of well-heeled diners at a hilltop estate once dubbed “the most beautiful home in Hollywood”. The timing has certainly been unfortunate, since the US is n
Latest cross-verified stories
Sydney Swans players linked to sexual assault allegations and club sanctions
Australia vs Bangladesh Test series in 2026, featuring historic upsets and batting struggles
Ukraine targets Wildberries warehouses and Russian infrastructure with drone strikes amid escalating war
Meta trial over social media addiction in children begins in California
Prince Harry and others ordered to pay legal costs to Daily Mail publisher after losing privacy lawsuit
Mass bird deaths linked to H5 bird flu in Australia’s southern states
Browse all stories from March 2026 in the archive.