← Back to Stories

Gold mine collapse in Central African Republic kills over 100

By Updated 9 hours ago2 articles from 2 sources

Consensus Summary

A gold mine collapse in the Central African Republic’s Nana-Mambere prefecture, specifically in the village of Zamboye, has killed more than 100 people according to both ABC and The Guardian. The incident, described as a landslide or tunnel collapse, buried miners and bystanders, with dozens scattered around the site. Investigations are underway to determine the cause, identify victims, and assess criminal liability, while rescue efforts continue amid concerns the death toll may rise. Both sources confirm at least three Cameroonian citizens are among the victims, and at least 40 people have died in mining incidents in CAR this year alone. The Guardian notes the collapse occurred on Tuesday afternoon, while ABC highlights the use of heavy machinery in retrieval efforts, which may endanger survivors. The tragedy underscores the dangers of artisanal mining in the region, where weak safety standards contribute to repeated disasters.

✓ Verified by 2+ sources

Key details reported by multiple sources:

  • more than 100 people have been killed in the gold mine collapse
  • the collapse occurred in the village of Zamboye, Nana-Mambere prefecture
  • hundreds of people gathered near the mine prior to the collapse
  • dozens of others were scattered around the expansive site after the collapse
  • at least 40 people have died in several mining incidents in CAR this year alone
  • an investigation has been opened to determine the cause of the collapse and identify victims
  • three Cameroonian citizens have been identified as victims

Points of Difference

Details reported by only one source:

ABC News
  • the collapse was described as a 'wall of dirt' flowing down rocky terrain
  • the prosecutor at the Baboua sub-prefecture court is leading the investigation into criminal liability
  • the death toll is expected to rise as the search for survivors continues
The Guardian
  • the landslide happened on Tuesday afternoon in Zamboye, about 50km from Baboua
  • the collapse was caused by the 'collapse of several underground tunnels' where miners were operating
  • heavy machinery, including tractors, is being used in the retrieval mission, potentially risking survivors
  • small-scale artisanal mines in CAR operate with weak safety standards, leading to repeated incidents

Contradictions

Conflicting information between sources:

  • ABC states 'more than 100 people have been killed' while The Guardian says 'more than 100 bodies had been recovered' (implying possible survivors or unrecovered dead)
  • ABC mentions 'hundreds of people gathered near the mine prior to the collapse' without specifying a number, while The Guardian does not explicitly mention this crowd size

Source Articles

ABC

At least 100 dead after gold mine collapses in Central African Republic

An aid worker says it will be a "miracle" to find people alive under the rubble after a mine collapse in Central African Republic.

GUARDIAN

More than 100 dead after goldmine collapses in Central African Republic

The collapse was caused by a landslide, while local officials say the death toll is likely to rise as recovery efforts continue More than 100 people have died after an artisanal goldmine at a small village in western Central African Republic (CAR) caved in due to a landslide, local officials and aid workers said on Wednesday. The landslide happened on Tuesday afternoon in the village of Zamboye, about 50km (31 miles) from the town of Baboua and close to the border of Cameroon. Footage on social